Chilling in Civitavecchia


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Lazio » Civitavecchia
October 14th 2013
Published: June 26th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Naples to Civitavecchia


The title of this blog doesn't quite work unless you know how to pronounce Civitavecchia. (chiv-it-a-veck-ia)

The temperature for the past few days has been in the high 70s and today was no exception.

Most excursions from Civitavecchia visit Italy's capital, Rome. Rome is 1½ hours by motor coach and about the same by train should you wish to do your own thing. The trains are fairly regular but as we discovered later today, due to 3 cruise ships being in port today the trains were crowded with lots of pushing and shoving and standing room only. It was worse than the London underground during rush hour!!

Did we really want to pay between $89 - $329 for an official excursion in an over crowded city rushing around to see all the major sights in just a few hours? Alternatively we could have paid only €28 for the 'cattle truck' for no more than a few hours in the Eternal City. No, we have seen Rome in more relaxing circumstances several years ago. Even then, when we spread our visit over a few days it was still manic at times!!

Today would be a chance to take it easy. Last time we were in Civitavecchia it was a Sunday and we were lucky enough to witness a friendship mass between 2 neighbouring towns. Everyone was dressed in medieval costumes culminating in a parade through the streets of Civitavecchia.

I haven't mentioned much about the Trivia on this trip. Since our first attempt where we won, surprisingly, a music trivia and a welcome water bottle, we haven't had much luck. We're not that far off the pace always coming either 2nd or 3rd. As every team can have up to 6 players, this may be due to adopting different players each time. There is a good reason for this. I am playing my own game called Check the State. Before we left home, I printed out a list of all the American states. As American's usually introduce themselves by stating which state they are from (i.e Bob and Doris from Idaho) the aim of the game is to meet as many people from different states by the end of the trip!! Thanks to Philip for giving me the idea! I understand that Alaska and Hawaii are the most difficult to come by. Florida and California seem, by far, the most popular.

The trivia questions are riddled as usual with inaccuracies. For example, when asked who is the Greek God of the Underworld we all know it is Hades and not Pluto which was the given answer. Pluto is the Roman God of the Underworld. When asked what flag is a red circle on a green background, I was the only one to say Bangladesh. Wrong!! The answer given was Singapore (look it up). I knew I was right because I've seen the flags being waved when they play England at cricket. No point in arguing as we're here for fun (we wouldn't have won anyway!!) Yes, here for fun although certain participants must think the fun part comes in arguing!! Next question: What country is Port Elizabeth in? South Africa. Simple? Not according to some people who wanted a point for the USA as there is apparently a small town in New Jersey that goes by the same name!!

Whilst choosing her evening meal in the restaurant, Roisin decided to try the roast chicken with shoestring potatoes. It turns out that shoestring potatoes are just another posh name for chips!! (french fries.) Next time I go to McDonalds I think I'll order a Big Mac and portion of shoestring potatoes just to see the reaction I get!!!

During this meal, an announcement was made for 4 people to report to the purser's office (by dialling 5000). All passengers have to be on board at least ½ hour before scheduled departure. 20 minutes before departure and the names of those who have ‘clocked out' but not clocked back in again are checked to see if they are on the ship. It sounds like some people made their own way to Rome but not left enough time to get back to the ship.

It turns out, however, that a coach from an organised excursion broke down so the ship was delayed by 15 minutes. This was enough time for a taxi to come screeching on to the quayside bringing those independent travellers back from wherever they'd been. Lucky for them that one of the official tours was late also. When I heard the names being read out during dinner I thought the worst. Not that these poor people may miss the boat but one of these poor people may be the one who had promised to lend me their battery charger!!!

After enjoying another Movie under the Stars, ‘Quartet' about a home for retired musicians starring Billy Connolly, Tom Courtney, Maggie Smith and a host of other internationally renowned stars, the dancing waters tribute to James Bond began. If the ultimate and true dancing waters can be found by the Burj Khalifa in Dubai or the Bellagio in Las Vegas then the dancing waters aboard the star Princess was the equivalent to ‘Dad dancing'!! It is a clever an innovative idea with limited resources but I think they should look for a new choreographer!!!


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement



17th October 2013

There's no such thing as a fun quiz
19th October 2013

which way to the slot machines? (just kidding, I love the aerial walkway thing especially!)

Tot: 0.08s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 12; qc: 32; dbt: 0.0363s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb