Many mosaics


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Emilia-Romagna » Ravenna
August 2nd 2006
Published: June 16th 2017
Edit Blog Post

01 Mosaics01 Mosaics01 Mosaics

Mosaics in St Giovanni Evangelista.
Geo: 44.0964, 12.2299

Packed up and left Bologna this morning and caught the train. About an hour later I arrived at Ravenna. I left my luggage at the locker in the train station and set off with my map. Ravenna has many celebrated mosaics from the early Christain and Byzantine area. It was also the capital of the Western Roman Empire. First place I went to was St Giovanni Evangelista. In here there were many old mosaics that were faded and not very colorful. The next stop was the Basilica di S.Apollinare Nuovo. This had heaps of colourful mosaics on the sides of the church. Today wasn't very sunny, which didn't help illuminate the mosaics. On the way to the next place on my map, I saw the Palazzo di Teodorico. It is an old ruin and through the fence I could see a few mosaics. Next I came along to Dante's tomb. He wrote most of his Divine Comedy in Ravenna. Then it was time for a quick snack. So I had some pasta and watched people walk by while I ate.
Next place on my path was an exhibition at the archeological museum. On display were mosaics from a church
02 St Giovanni Evangelista02 St Giovanni Evangelista02 St Giovanni Evangelista

The outside of the church.
(San Severo) that was recently discovered at nearby Classe (8km away). The church dates back to the 6th century. It was unbelievable how old this stuff was and it was only discovered 40 years ago. Imagine how many more discoveries there are to be made in Europe. Next I went to the Battistero Neoniano. A small bapistry with really amazing mosaics, a pity that half of the interior was covered in scaffolding. Then went to the Episcol Musuem, it was tiny, just a small room the side of a lounge room. The most interesting things were the ivory throne from the 6th century and a round Easter calendar that showed when Easter was for about 100 years.
Then I went to the Domus of Stone Carpets. Another archeological site that was recently discovered. Its a Byztantien Palace 3 metres below road level and from the 6th century. On display are the floor mosaics. They are in pretty good condition.
Have now finally arrived at the apparently the best mosaics of the lot at the Basilica of San Vitale. Yeah, they were pretty good, colourful and lots of gold which reflected off the light. A few metres out of the church
03 Mosaics03 Mosaics03 Mosaics

Mosaics in the Basilica di S.Apollinare Nuovo.
was the Mausoleum for Galla Placidia. This was the best, a small building with a few tombs and lots of colourful mosaics all in perfect condition. As I was leaving the mausoleum, feeling satisfied with my mission of seeing many mosaics completed, it began to rain and rain. So I took shelter in the basilica for 15 minutes and then walked in the rain to the train station to collect my bags and catch the train.


Additional photos below
Photos: 24, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

04 Mosaics04 Mosaics
04 Mosaics

Mosaics in the Basilica di S.Apollinare Nuovo.
05 Mosaics05 Mosaics
05 Mosaics

Mosaics in the Basilica di S.Apollinare Nuovo.
06 Ruins and mosaics06 Ruins and mosaics
06 Ruins and mosaics

The ruins and mosaics of the Palazzo di Teodorico.
07 Dantes tomb07 Dantes tomb
07 Dantes tomb

Dantes tomb.
08 Church08 Church
08 Church

Outside of a church and the Battistero Neoniano.
09 Mosaics09 Mosaics
09 Mosaics

Mosaics in the battistero (baptistry).
10 Ceiling10 Ceiling
10 Ceiling

Ceiling of the baptistry.
11 Old calendar11 Old calendar
11 Old calendar

An old easter calendar.
12 Mosaics12 Mosaics
12 Mosaics

A mosaics in the museum.
13 Mosaics13 Mosaics
13 Mosaics

Mosaics in the Domus of Stone Carpets.
14 Mosaics14 Mosaics
14 Mosaics

Mosaics in the Domus of Stone Carpets.
15 Alter15 Alter
15 Alter

The alter of the Basilica of San Vitale.
16 Mosaics16 Mosaics
16 Mosaics

More mosaics in the Basilica of San Vitale.
17 Mosaics17 Mosaics
17 Mosaics

More mosaics in the Basilica of San Vitale.
18 Mosaics18 Mosaics
18 Mosaics

More mosaics in the Basilica of San Vitale.
19 Mosaics19 Mosaics
19 Mosaics

More mosaics in the Basilica of San Vitale.
20 Mosaics20 Mosaics
20 Mosaics

More mosaics in the Basilica of San Vitale.
21 Outside21 Outside
21 Outside

The outside of the Basilica.
22 Mosaics22 Mosaics
22 Mosaics

Mosaics in the Mausoleum for Galla Placidia.
23 Mosaics23 Mosaics
23 Mosaics

Mosaics in the Mausoleum for Galla Placidia
24 The outside24 The outside
24 The outside

The outside of the Mausoleum.


Tot: 0.271s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 10; qc: 52; dbt: 0.0847s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb