Bumming around


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Campania » Sorrento
October 4th 2011
Published: October 4th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Well we have not been doing anything exciting to blog about in Sorrento. We have been enjoying a slow relaxing few days as we are close to the end of our trip, sadly. Rome will be a busy last few days, so we have been taking it easy and aside from the day in Positano, haven't ventured out of Sorrento.

The location of our accomodation has been fabulous and a nice walk up to town in the shade.

Today we head to Capri and are very excited to be heading there for two nights. Our last trip we had only a day trip to the island and loved it.

We caught a taxi from the hotel to the marina to catch the ferry to Capri - and the taxi driver was a scream. He was telling us that the crazy drivers in Sorrento are the 'top crazy' drivers in all Italy. 'No stop, no blink...top crazy'. He says every other family has 3 cars and 3 bikes!

We were asking him about the speed cameras on the Autostrada from Tuscany to Sorento. Our gps was beeping every five minutes to warn of speed cameras, and many signs indicate this - something about 'del velocitie' and 'Tutor' with a drawing of a policeman waiving his finger. Our understanding of these signs were that they photograph you at a start point and an end point and then calculate if you have taken an appropriate time to travel the distance. Even in 60 zones people were speeding by at 100 - 120 so we couldn't understand how everyone wouldn't get a ticket. The kindly taxi driver told us, ' no, no worries, they are all turned off'. When we asked why he said 'not one Italian pays the fine, so they may as well off'.
We also got a talking to about the mafia, and what time to pass through Napoli train station to avoid the pickpockets. Apparently everyone has to stop for lunch sometime!

He is quite taken with Australia being full of Kangaroos and that we are all throwing boomerangs around to catch them. He couldn't quite understand when we spoke about hitting them with the car when driving in the bush. Thinks they are hopping down the main street I think!





Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement

Sorrento main streetSorrento main street
Sorrento main street

This will give you an idea of one of the trials of driving in Italy. This is a main road, on a sunday afternoon, and everyone just strolls along ignorant that cars might want to come down. Bikes have to veer around the groups of people. The main large group just ahead are all gathered around a stroller peering at the baby!
Piccolo Marina SorrentoPiccolo Marina Sorrento
Piccolo Marina Sorrento

The jetty has the umbrellas and deck chairs when there is a lack of beach to sit on. There was a small bit of sand along near there, ans looked like a nice spot to swim.
Fresh fish Fresh fish
Fresh fish

The fishing boat just arrived back in an fish is being offloaded into the van and on the back of the little ute.


Tot: 0.046s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 7; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0254s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb