A town with spectacular views


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Campania » Ravello
June 12th 2015
Published: June 22nd 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: 40.6493, 14.6115

Our intention after a lovely buffet breakfast at the hotel, was to catch the bus up the mountain to Ravello. The tickets are only 1 euro each. However the first bus we saw was packed to the rafters with standing room only so we opted for a taxi. 50 euros but got us there in half the time and in comfort. Ravello is a very pretty town with large open square with plenty of restaurants and bars to choose from. We walked up to Villa Cimbrone which has vertiginous views over the coast and also has beautiful gardens with many statues around the shaded walk. The bar is set in a pretty area of the garden so did not fail to invite us in!. On the way back to the town we almost passed the Limoncello factory but in we went and purchased very pretty bottles of the stuff. Lunch was at Villa Maria sat on the large terrace with a lovely view and must say the best food so far. Excellent fish and seafood and good wine and service. Back in the town we called in at the Ceramics shop but believe it or not we did not purchase anything as it was all a bit pricey ie. overpriced for tourists. Our taxi was waiting for us when we came out so back to the hotel we went. It is unusually hot in this area at the moment so the rest of the sfternoon was spent being in the sun on the terrace and then back in the shade and AC of the room. After the preprandial drinks on our balcony watching the world go by we only had a short walk to Restaurant Eolo, probably one of the best in Amalfi. The service was impeccable and the wine list huge and the sommelier knowledgable so we had superb wine. The homemade bread was delectable, amuse bouches tasty, starters huge therefore glad we shared between two and the main courses very good with complimentary tiny dessert at the end- wow! Thank heaven we only had a short way to stagger back to our hotel bar where there was a lovely breeze on the terrace and more lovely wine to settle us in for the night.
Everyone must come here. Someone famous once said that if you have not been to Amalfi you have not been to Italy.


Additional photos below
Photos: 18, Displayed: 18


Advertisement



16th June 2015

I guess with all the statues still there they must not get many Brit tourists.

Tot: 0.091s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 12; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0618s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb