Pompei!


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Campania » Pompei
October 28th 2015
Published: September 7th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Wonderful tea provided to these early arrivers!Wonderful tea provided to these early arrivers!Wonderful tea provided to these early arrivers!

So nice of the staff to provide us tea and an early check in! Above and beyond the call of duty.
Geo: 40.7492, 14.5007

Well, I tried to write yesterday and after a half hour of writing it all disappeared... so will retry now. Am having a few photo problems again after thinking I had them solved, not sure if it's the slow internet connection or what, but will keep trying to upload photos to past entries, etc...

We arrived early to our hotel in Pompei and the staff was fantastic, offered us tea and a beautiful lounge to wait in while our rooms were being prepared. After we put our luggage in our rooms we walked to the ruins of Pompei, the ruins are right in the middle of the modern city of Pompei, it was surprising to me the first time I was here. Kind of was expecting it to be out in the middle of nowhere for some reason. On our way we stopped in an "information" or "tourist info" point, that was how it was posted outside. We were wanting to ask some questions about the next day when we were going to Vesuvius and Herculaneum. It actually was just a sales pitch for a driver to take you to Herculaneum and Mt. Vesuvius, you still pay the entrance fees and audio guide fees on top of it. It was 35 euros to be driven to both places and back, I usually do these things the more difficult and cheap way, but we decided to go for the convenience and I must say it was nice to not have to try to navigate the public bus system, schedules, etc... so overall it was great to have that part of things taken care of!

We then walked right down the street maybe one hundred yards to the entrance to the ruins of Pompei, it is so worth a second trip through it. Still didn't see everything! But a lot of what I did see for the first time was in a much better state of preservation than what I had seen before. A lot of the city though was closed off as they continue to excavate, so a third trip is not out of the question as Jim has not been... ;-)

(going to dinner will be back to update!)

Fit Bit: 13,850 which is 5.96 miles


Additional photos below
Photos: 89, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

another view of the restaurantanother view of the restaurant
another view of the restaurant

They would have food in the pots set into the countertops, there was a place to eat sometimes in the back or stand near the counter.


29th October 2015

Just looked it up. The first line is latin, roughly "Bread bakery". Second is Italian, "oven and (grain) mills"
30th October 2015

Amazing pictures Wendy. I think Pompeii needs to go on my bucket list. Oddly enough, the list seems to be getting larger instead of smaller. Had a good day fishing today. Can't wait to see you. Xxxxooo
30th October 2015

Thanks Ryan! when we went to Herculaneum, they had the same set up but had a nice explanation for us. You are totally correct, just what they said. Thanks.

Tot: 0.1s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 7; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0778s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb