Sorry!


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Campania » Pompei
July 26th 2008
Published: July 27th 2008
Edit Blog Post

So, we haven't updated the blog in a while, so here's a quick recap of what we've done. I'll go into further detail later.

Florence:
Lots of museums! We saw quite a bit of art at the Uffizi and Bargello Galleries... too much to name, really.
We saw the Duomo and the (fake) Gates of Paradise (although we did see the real competition pieces between Ghiberti and Bruneleschi)
We ate amazing gelati and GROM
We had nice panini at 'ino
The boys went to the Pitti Palace and saw some more art there
The boys also went down to the Santa Croce church and saw Michelangelo and Galileo's graves and monuments to Dante and Machiavelli and Rafael
We all went to St Maria Novella and saw Massacio's Trinity
The boys went to a hotel called... crap i don't remember what it was called, but it was extremely chic. The elevator had a couch in it, the bar had tables with clocks, and the peanuts were really good.
We crossed the Ponte Vecchio

Rome:
We went to the Colloseum and the Palatine hill and Roman Forum. All cool and very old and lots of tourists.
We saw the Pantheon
We saw Trajan's Column and Markets
We walked by the Campidoglio
We went to the Piazza Navona... Bernini's fountain was covered by scaffolding, but it was a cool piazza nonetheless
Nolan and Adi saw the Ara Pacis and the Piazza del Popoli and ate a Toblerone bar while admiring a nice view of Rome
We all went to the Vatican and saw the museums, the Sistine Chapel, the boys saw Laocoon, and we went up the dome of St. Peter's to see an amazing view of all of Rome. The actual St. Peter's was huge, amazing, intimidating, awesome... crazy!
The boys went to the National Gallerie (right across the street from our hostel) and saw some Caravaggio and Hans Holbein and whatnot. Oh, all for free. Just sayin'.
The boys also walked down two blocks and saw the Ecstasy of St. Theresa at Santa Maria della Vittoria church. It was amazing.
Our hostel is literally 100 feet from Borromini's San Carlo della Quatro Fontane church (and the four fountains themselves)

Today, Nolan and Adi went to Naples and saw some Pompeiian art at the Archeological museum. We then took a train to Pompeii itself, which was quite amazing. The ruins were in great condition, and it's an entire city that was really well preserved so there was a WHOLE lot to see. It took a while to go from one end to another, and the sun didn't help. We got to see the Villa of Mysteries, which was pretty cool (but far away). Then we went back to Naples and got a cheap pizza and ate it at a Piazza which was full of trash and loiterers but was a worthwhile experience anywyas because the pizza was deliciozo.

Tomorrow, Nolan and Adi (okay, this is adi typing this if you couldn't tell) are gonna try and see the Angelus at the Vatican and hopefully catch a glimpse of the Pope. Wish us luck!

I'll update more stuff in detail and add pictures when I get home. Ciao!

Advertisement



Tot: 0.268s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 14; qc: 61; dbt: 0.0632s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb