A Greek Tragedy - Italy 2


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Campania » Paestum
May 23rd 2011
Published: October 6th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Paestum - the best kept secret in Italy. 3 Greek temples set in acres of wild grasses, wild geraniums and inhabited by lizards. Fabulously quiet with few visitors apart from the odd school trip. The whole site had an air of the 1960's when few tourists ventured to the area. It was hard to believe just how isolated the place felt. No hoards of tourists or children just peace and quiet to experience a complex of greek buildings. Sometimes I think it would be better to keep quiet about such a place and keep it for myself. Tourists would spoil it. Our visit was on one of those days when the sun blazed down. We started by visiting the aree di sosta at the end of the road which served as a car park for the site. Two camping cars were there , one british and the other french. Cafes lined the road to the temples and we stopped at one for cappacino and nonos cake. There was a small museum but we decided not to visit - perhaps with hindsight we should have called in before wandering around the site. The temples are in a great state of repair and looked fabulous in the sun. We sat amongst them enjoying the peace and quiet. Glenn remembered 30 years ago visiting them. It seems health and safety had gone mad , in those days you could walk inside the temples .Now unfortunately they were fenced off and we were only allowed to walk round them admiring the doric columns and pondering on what went on within them. A visit worth making and one we will both remember for its tranquility and beauty.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.614s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 47; qc: 188; dbt: 0.418s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.6mb