Greater Burdock


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Campania » Naples
November 24th 2021
Published: January 17th 2022
Edit Blog Post

Greater Burdock, not yet in flowerGreater Burdock, not yet in flowerGreater Burdock, not yet in flower

Taken in the Botanical Gardens of Naples.
ENGLISH NAME : The Greater Burdock

LATIN NAME : Arctium Lappa

ITALIAN NAME : Bardana Maggiore

NICKNAMES : Greater Burdock, Gobo, Edible Burdock, Lappa, Beggar's buttons, Thorny Burr, Happy Major

STORY BEHIND NAMES:

Arctium Lappa : Arktos is the Greek word for bear and Leppa means to seize. These refer to its rough-coated fruits, which are covered in bracts, which cling to clothes and fur on contact.

Beggar's Buttons refer to the appearance of the plant's pods.

Gobo is the Japanese name, which refers to the roots of Burdock which are served as a vegetable in Japan.

IMPORTANT PARTS OF PLANT : roots, leaves and seeds

SYMPTOMS TREATED : diseases related to the glandular system and metabolic diseases, it reduces toxic states, diabetes, acne, boils/ulcers, eczema, psoriasis, rheumatism, gout (inflammatory arthritis)

ADDITIONAL PROPERTIES : In Chinese medicine the seeds are crushed to form a mixture to provide relief for muscles, arthritis, tonsillitis, throat pain and common cold. The roots can be used to treat the symptoms above.

CONTENTS : tannin, arctigenin, arctiin, beta-eudesmol, caffeic acid, cholorogenic acid, inulin, trachelogenin, lappaol, diarctigenin.

OTHER INTERESTING INFORMATION : it is used in
Greater Burdock, not yet in flowerGreater Burdock, not yet in flowerGreater Burdock, not yet in flower

Taken in November 2021, at the Botanical Gardens in Pisa. As Greater Burdock flowers in June and July, this was not in flower at the time the photo was taken.
cosmetics. Greater Burdock seeds are used in traditional Chinese medicine and can be used in the form of tea.

It is cultivated in gardens for its roots, which are used as vegetables. It is hard to get rid of due to its deep tap roots and copious amounts of seeds that remain viable.

It has a fertile cross with ARCTIUM MINUS which is a smaller plant with similar properties. ARCTIUM TOMENTOSUM is also related.

WHERE AND WHEN IT GROWS : throughout Europe, North America and Asia on roadsides, verges and scrubland. It is indigenous to North America and temperate Eurasia and is now widespread as it adapts well to different climates. It is a COARSE, ROBUST BIENNIAL plant. It flowers in June and July.

ITALIAN WORDS :
radici - roots
semi - seeds
stati tossici - toxic states
foruncoli - boils/ ulcers
eczema - eczema
psoriasi - psoriasis,
reumatismi - rheumatism

GLOSSARY

●Biennial plants : Plants which take 2 seasons to complete their biological life cycle. In the first year plant growth occurs, then in the second year flowers, fruits and seeds appear.

For example, some vegetables are obtained from biennial plants. The vegetables appear in the first year, then in the second year the flowers on the plant appear

●Eurasia : the continents of Europe and Asia considered as a whole. It refers to the landmass and tectonic plate on which both Europe and Asia exist

●Galactagenous : stimulating milk production


Advertisement



Tot: 0.362s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 11; qc: 50; dbt: 0.1427s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb