Polignano a Mare Italy is Beautiful!


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Apulia » Polignano a Mare
October 7th 2015
Published: October 7th 2015
Edit Blog Post

Beautiful Polignano a Mare ItalyBeautiful Polignano a Mare ItalyBeautiful Polignano a Mare Italy

The very rocky beach! The water is a stunning blue!
what I say except it's like walking around in a postcard! we left London a few days ago and arrived in Bari Italy which is a thirty minute train ride to what was our main destination! Bari is a port town located on the tip of the heel of Italy on the Adriatic Sea. Often called the breadbasket of Italy, or the jewel of Italy. Bari itself was okay, the old town was very pretty and our hotel was just beautiful! Leslie and walked around upon arriving in search of a drink and maybe a bite of food. It was quite busy with all the Italians enjoying a stroll and chatting on all the corners with friends. We found a small cafe/bar and managed to squeeze in and order drinks in our limited Italian. We spent most of the next day walking the old town and people watching. first communions were happening that day so lots of families and their children celebrating! Everyone dressed up and picture taking going on! We then went back to hotel swam and just enjoyed the day! Had a lovely time catching up.

Monday we were off to our final and much excited about destination Polignano a Mare, a prehistoric town that is built into the cliffs along the coast, amazing! They say people have been living here 1200 years AD! The old town is like walking around in a postcard! We rented a authentic puligia style house in the old town with stone rounded ceilings, four floors including rooftop terrace. Stairs are steep but with careful steps( not for the faint of heart for sure!) we manage to transport our goodies, wine and cheese to the roof overlooking the sea! Last night we could see all the swallows who live in the caves below the houses swarming in at dusk! Thousands of them, because our little house is practically on top are planning on finding a bar to watch them tonight for what is sure to be an amazing view!

Well I'm off to enjoy our morning croissant and cappuccino but I wanted everyone to see the amazing things were are seeing!


Additional photos below
Photos: 42, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

Stunning view on the other end of townStunning view on the other end of town
Stunning view on the other end of town

This is looking towards the beach area around the bend. They dive from that tip!
BreakfastBreakfast
Breakfast

Small cafe right around the corner, lovely croissants stuffed with a grape jelly.
Statue dedicated to singer ModugnoStatue dedicated to singer Modugno
Statue dedicated to singer Modugno

Born here sang "Volare" hard not to sing it in your head. Means fly away
Another shot of "Piazza San BernedettoAnother shot of "Piazza San Bernedetto
Another shot of "Piazza San Bernedetto

Great place to people watch, little tiny bars and cafes. Last night we sat and drank wine after our dinner, which 11:30. We keep trying to eat earlier 9 but so far hasn't happened. They eat so late here in Italy!
Old church in the Piazza Vittorio EmanueleOld church in the Piazza Vittorio Emanuele
Old church in the Piazza Vittorio Emanuele

Saw a few weddings here in just that many days! Brides were beautiful, as well as all the guests. Can't take pictures of inside but it's really pretty!
Local fishermen's shrineLocal fishermen's shrine
Local fishermen's shrine

There are several little shrines among the little alley ways here! So pretty
A Polignano poetA Polignano poet
A Polignano poet

All over this poet has left little poems to read about, life, love and family.
Just another pretty alleyJust another pretty alley
Just another pretty alley

There are a few cars allowed in the old part, but so narrow they can't go too far!


7th October 2015

So exciting
I am so happy that you made this trip. It looks fantastic!
7th October 2015

Blog
Love reading your adventures. Beautiful pics and wonderful descriptions.
8th October 2015

none
home tomorrow. loved the pics
8th October 2015

none
home tomorrow. loved the pics

Tot: 0.179s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 11; qc: 57; dbt: 0.0994s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb