BBQueing-Italian Style


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Apulia » Brindisi
April 10th 2007
Published: April 10th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Looking Dapper!Looking Dapper!Looking Dapper!

Getting ready to make the Easter Sunday rounds...
Yesterday Beth and I attended our first family BBQ - Italian Style. The occasion was “La Pasquetta” or “Little Easter.” This is the day after Easter Sunday and is a national holiday. School is still on spring break and everyone gets together for a celebration of the 2nd official religion in Italy - Eating!
Easter week is a week-long combination of tradition and religion. Last Tuesday we attended a reenactment of the Passion. Unfortunately, it was so crowded that we were unable to see much. But we did end up at Vincenzo’s cousin’s (Mino) house for dolce and caffe; I had a small glass of cognac and dolce. We ended up accepting an invitation to their BBQ on Pasquetta.
The BBQ was held at a small plot of land outside of Brindisi. The land belongs to Silvia’s (Mino’s wife) father. It is about 2 acres and is completely walled in and is primarily a large garden for raising vegetables for the family and relatives. There was a small ramada with grass in one corner on the property.
The day was sunny, bright, and just a bit windy. Fortunately the walls acted as buffers against the wind. As the day went
Sunny but windySunny but windySunny but windy

Getting ready for the ritual of the firemaking.
on it did get a bit warmer. In attendance at this event were the following people: our good friends Vincenzo & Sara, Mino (Vincenzo’s cousin) & Silvia and two daughters Alice & Christiana and the dog Fox, Giuseppe & Olga (Vincenzo’s cousin) and two daughters Ludovica & Mino and the dog Briciola, last but not least, Francesca (also Vincenzo’s cousin, Francesca, Olga, and Mino are brothers and sister). Briciola and Fox are not related. Hee hee hee.
Ok, moving right along, unlike American style BBQueing, Italians have a much simpler approach. Americans have a wide variety of dishes to accompany the main meat course. Americans also use lots of BBQ sauce before or after the actual searing of dead animal flesh. I think Italians might find that whole debate about “wet” or “dry” BBQ technique to be a bit over the top.
No, Italians cut right to the chase and the BBQ event is all about the meat, or should I say meats. To be fair, we did have a slice of pizza as a kind of antipasti then we proceeded to gorge ourselves on horse, donkey, pork sausage, pork ribs, pork chops, and little sausage shaped rolls of chicken
Checking out the cropsChecking out the cropsChecking out the crops

Vincenzo letting me sample some of the fresh stuff...Silvia, Francesca, and Beth looking on...
livers, hearts, and parts. There must have been about two pounds of meat for everyone. This ain’t no place for a vegetarian, or perhaps only of the most pretentious variety.
“The guys” instructed me on the proper etiquette of belching - an accepted practice to make room for…yes, more meat. All of which is to be washed down with vino, of course; followed by the traditional Easter dolce “Colomba.” This is a form of bread that tastes suspiciously like the Christmas season bread. They both taste like cinnamon bread. So there you have it: meat, wine, dessert…who could ask for anything more?



Additional photos below
Photos: 18, Displayed: 18


Advertisement

It was a bit windyIt was a bit windy
It was a bit windy

Beth trying some greens n' stuff...
Baby cauliflowerBaby cauliflower
Baby cauliflower

I don't know how I'll readjust to life without fresh veggies always available...
White girl glareWhite girl glare
White girl glare

off the forehead...woke up Tuesday morning a little pink!
We be men!We be men!
We be men!

Fire + meat = good...yeah!!
We talkWe talk
We talk

with our hands in Italy.
GiuseppeGiuseppe
Giuseppe

displaying the goods...
Da BoysDa Boys
Da Boys

Bad Boys of Brindisi...
Da Boys Pt IIDa Boys Pt II
Da Boys Pt II

How much is left in that 5 liter jug??
MeatMeat
Meat

BBQ sauce is for wussies!
Meat Pt IIMeat Pt II
Meat Pt II

BBQ sauce is for wussies! Really!
Meat Pt IIIMeat Pt III
Meat Pt III

BBQ sauce is for wussies! Really! Just ask her.
Healthy & BalancedHealthy & Balanced
Healthy & Balanced

Meat + Vino + dessert
We're So ItalianWe're So Italian
We're So Italian

and so cute!
Yeah...Yeah...
Yeah...

I fit right in...
Let's get crazyLet's get crazy
Let's get crazy

and put some rosemary on that meat.


Tot: 0.126s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 9; qc: 61; dbt: 0.094s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb