Cone Homes


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Apulia » Bari
October 16th 2016
Published: October 16th 2016
Edit Blog Post

Day 22 - Thurs. Oct. 13 - Port of call: Bari, Italy. Weather: Partly sunny - temperatures of 66°F/19°C



Overnight the ship crossed the Adriatic Sea from Albania to Bari, Italy. Bari is the capital of the Apulia Region, which is near the heel of the Italian peninsula. It is obvious that the city is a very active port, as three car ferries followed our ship into the dock area this morning. Bari is a cultural center with important cathedrals, museums, galleries and an opera house. One of the central attractions is found at the basilica, which houses the bones of St. Nicholas, otherwise known to many of us as Santa Claus. Bari and the entire surrounding area are stepped in history.



Today our excursion went out of town to Alberobello, which is approximately 60 km southeast from Bari, to view the extraordinary conical homes that UNESCO has recognized as a World Heritage Site. Thousands of years ago the residents built the roofs of their homes in a conical form out of the plentiful supply of limestone slabs found throughout the area. These impressive structures represent a remarkable form of prehistoric building techniques that has stood the test of time.



After a 75-minute drive we began our walk through the town. As we have found in several other excursions everything seems to be uphill and that was once again the case. The town is built in a small valley and after leaving the bus we went up one side into the residential area. The structures, which are extremely small, are still used as homes. Because the area is recognized by UNESCO alterations to the structures are heavily regulated and no new structures are permitted. If you own property outside of town you are permitted to construct one of these conical buildings.



While we were in the residential area one of the homeowners permitted our tour group to view the interior of her home, for a donation. The interior is cramped - think of a Hobbit house, and you get the picture.



We descended to the main street, which today was blocked off for the weekly market, where the group was given the option of staying to shop or to ascend the other side into the commercial portion of the city on the way up to the cathedral. Brooke and Mary Ann stayed while John and I went for the second climb of the day. The interiors of the conical homes on this side have been converted into retail businesses, bars, cafes, B&B’s and boutique hotels.



The cathedral at the top of the hill was constructed in 1926-27 and the roof complements the community by incorporating conical roofs over the central dome and for the bell tower.



After a brief period of free time we boarded the bus so that we could be taken to Masseria Papaerta a farm of the XVIII. At this perfectly preserved farm we observed the building technique known as “parieti” which are stone walls constructed without mortar which were used to protect sloping lands, mark property boundaries and to build cattle sheds. At this location we were also treated to some of the local culinary products such as delicious savory cakes and wine. At the conclusion of our treat time we returned to the bus and another hour plus ride back to the port city of Bari and our ship.


Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement



Tot: 0.1s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 18; qc: 31; dbt: 0.0572s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb