Day 33 - Alberobello and the Trulli Houses and Locotrondo


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Apulia » Alberobello
November 11th 2013
Published: November 15th 2013
Edit Blog Post

A drizzly morning, a quick breakfast and off to find an early regional treno to Alberobello. We really feel very clever locating these and using the different automatic ticketing machines. The trip of 64 kms took us through a lot of agricultural areas - olives and grapes, vegetables and some citrus. Long before we reached our destination we could see Trulli houses in the fields and many of them still occupied, with a few clearly used for storage. The trulli houses at Alberobello were great to see and our only disappointment was that the museum wasn't open as seemingly it showed the tools and equipment used to built the houses and construction methods. The museo also linked to the Museo of wine and olive oil so that was not open either. But we wandered through the little lanes until the heavy rain drove us into a caffe by the treno stationale. We purchased tickets and went onwards to a little down called Locotrondo - quite different in look and feel to Alberobello. We found an exquisite litte ristorante eCurdunn (Locotrondo in their dialect - liked the 'dunn' connection) and one of the patrons recommended a nice red. Roy enjoyed the sample she gave him (of the wine and her!) so ordered a bottle. The pasta we each had was home-made and devine, along with the little fruit dessert we shared. The cost of our wine turned out to be much more than our food and we would have been quite happy with the rosso house wine! Ah well. Ran back to the stationale for the train back to Alberobello and onwards to Bari. A great day, and our spirits not dampened by the weather.


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement



Tot: 0.117s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 13; qc: 52; dbt: 0.0544s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1.1mb