Day 51: Barrea to Pineto


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Abruzzo » Pineto
April 24th 2011
Published: April 30th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Leaving our little spot we headed off to find Scanno, only to stop in another little village around 5kms away to get some local produce and goodies (vittles was running a little low due to Easter and Italy being closed) they had the best little tomatoes you have ever had and the whole shop was 20E for two large bags of tucker. We found this area to be very camper friendly with heaps of camper parking and another sosta at N41° 45.237 and E13° 59.311, full camper service at a small cost for water, around 3 euro, nice spot by the lake and quiet as well. Heading off further up into the mountains we found the greatest little spot in all of Italy along the pass road from Barrea to Scanno, the drive and scenery is spectacular and the horse breeder there in his little caffe makes the best espresso in the world, do this drive and head for N.41° 48.020 E13° 56.262 coming from Barrea heading north it is well worth the drive. Heading off again we came to a little ski village that had only just lost the snow, again spectacular scenery. Leaving there we wanted to find a place called Pescosansonesco where we had seen a photo of a great old ruin atop and steep mountain, yes not unusual you might say considering what we had seen on the way, but none the less we wanted to see it and it was on the way. The drive there took us through a spectacular gorge where the roads were supported out from the cliff and they had installed mirrors to see if a car was coming the other, and believe me you needed them. Seeing the little ruin was ho hum but a nice spot for lunch. Onwards again we just wanted to cover some miles as we think we are a little behind in our schedule and we had nothing really planned on this leg of the trip. We got as far as Pineto, a little dot on the map on the Adriatic coast a little north of Pescara. We found a great little free park by the beach, the best of a good selection in this area at N42° 39.057 E14° 02.399 on the Via Sangro, cross the rail lines under the bridge and turn right.


Additional photos below
Photos: 14, Displayed: 14


Advertisement



Tot: 0.365s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 13; qc: 81; dbt: 0.177s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb