Jim’s Gaelic Turas 17’ – Ireland and Scotland - The ROUTE Blog #3


Advertisement
Ireland's flag
Europe » Ireland
July 19th 2017
Published: July 16th 2017
Edit Blog Post

GOPR0027GOPR0027GOPR0027

The Gaelic Isles
Hey Readers:

Here is an abbreviated list of the cities I'll be visiting on the CureDuchenne "Jim's Gaelic Turas 17' ". I didn't go into all the POI's I'll hit in each area but will give more detail on the daily blogs. I also want to take a moment to thank a lot of people who without their support - it would not be possible to do this trip. My wife Karen - who worries about me on my trips but always supports me whether it is a charity ride or not. I will miss not having her meet up with me at my waypoint like we typically do. The entire AIS and Highroad Capital Partners teams who through their hard work and dedication to our customers, give their support to the trip. The Cureduchenne team for their help setting up the website and broadcasting out the news about the event. To Leo Coar and the Distributors link magazine team who help raise awareness of Cureduchenne through their magazine and their support to Cureduchenne. Last but not least to you the readers who have encouraged me each year to blog on the rides and have so generously donated to this very worthy cause.

While there is no cure for Duchenne MD yet - Current funding for CRISPR/Cas9 gene editing research has the potential to treat 80%!o(MISSING)f the Duchenne boys- this could be TRANSFORMATIONAL for those with Duchenne.

Please consider going to www.cureduchenne.org/jimsride and making a donation.



Trip Agenda

IRELAND

Friday Arrive Dublin UBER down to Kildare to pickup my bike from Celtic Rider. Then back up to Dublin - Stay at the Shelbourne and hit O'Donahue's Pub in St. Stephens Green area.

Saturday- either one more night in Dublin or Down to Cork/Kilarney and visit the Kennedy's and Dunlea's (depends on availability).

Sunday Down to Cork/Kilarney

Monday & Tuesday- Galway - see the Galway Races and visit with the Caulfield's. Stay at the Hotel Connacht

Wednesday - Ride to Westport - Do some side rides to the coastal areas during the day. Investigate Westport pubs in the evening! Hotel Knockranny House.



Thursday & Friday - Ride to Donegal stay at the Harvey Point Hotel - Explore beautiful County Donegal and perhaps a pub or three.

Saturday - Ride to Ballyliffin check out the northern most points of Ireland - stay at the Ballyliffin Lodge (massage time)!!

Sunday - Enter Northern Ireland to Belfast- explore Belfast stay at the Hilton Belfast

Scotland

Monday - Ride to Larne and catch the ferry to Cairnryan then on to Edinburgh - stay at the Glass House -check out Edinburgh pubs!!

Tuesday - Short ride to St. Andrews - no golf reservations but am staying at the Old Course Hotel - Visit the Hams Hame Pub per Smitty's recommendation.

Wednesday- Head toward Pitlochry - no reservations - will play it by ear may continue on toward Inverness or somewhere in between.

Thursday - Head toward Inverness - No reservations yet. - do some side trips up the northern coast. Will be at the same latitude as Juneau Alaska so I won't have problem with riding in daylight. Perhaps stay at Wick.

Friday - Ride to Portree and check out the Western Isles of Scotland. No reservations yet.

Saturday - Ride to Oban down the waterway via Fort William - no reservations in Oban yet.

Sunday and Monday - Ride to Glasgow - Cameron House recommended by my friend Mike but its a few miles north of Glasgow perhaps one night there and one in Glasgow. My cousin and her husband also recommended seeing Inveraray Castle near Glasgow as well.

Tuesday- Ride down to Cairnryan to catch the ferry back to Belfast then down to ride down to Kildare drop off bike and get a ride back to the Airport.

Wednesday - Fly home



Talk to you again from Dublin

**** Don't forget to visit CureDuchenne if you haven't and consider making a donation to www.cureduchenne.org/jimsride*****

Advertisement



17th July 2017

Great Trip!
Jim - have a great tour over there. Sounds amazing. Hope your weather holds up. Mike

Tot: 0.167s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 9; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0456s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb