Saturday 10th June 2017


Advertisement
Ireland's flag
Europe » Ireland
June 10th 2017
Published: June 10th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Had a very stormy night. The rain was lashing the side of the van and the wind blew so hard I thought we may be blown over but luckily survived all in one piece. The day started dull but the sun gradually came out. We've had the best day so far of the trip. We got on a coach to the Carrick-a-Rede rope bridge. It's a rope bridge over to a small island as was used by fisherman in days gone by. It is about 100 feet above the sea. We reached it down a coastal path and filed over. It was a bit scary but I felt alright as long as I didn't look down. You can't wander too far but the views are amazing.

When we left the bridge we went for lunch at the Causeway Hotel then had a tour of the Giants Causeway. I've wanted to see this since I took a comprehension lesson with my class and read about the causeway. That must be about 45 years ago so got there in the end! It was quite incredible. It's made up of hexagonal shaped stones and stretches out into the sea. Quite extraordinary. We walked out as far as we could, quite tricky as the wind got up again and it was hard to balance upright. There was a choir singing when we got there and a lady playing a harp. She was being filmed so we had to keep out of the way. The Irish believe the causeway was formed by the giant Finn McColl. the other end of the causeway is at Fingels cave on the Island of Staffa. It's a very beautiful coastline all the way around here.

We were so lucky with the weather and are very thankful it remained dry all day otherwise it would have been awful.


Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement

HarpistHarpist
Harpist

at giant's Causeway


10th June 2017
Giant's Causeway

Looks fantastic! We took Charmaine to the New Forest today and photographed hippos, crocs, baboons and lions. Where's the extreme wildlife reports on your adventure? Glad you had good weather today and long may it last.
21st June 2017
Giant's Causeway

Wildlife
Unfortunately they're all hiding from the weather! It certainly is tamer photography over here.

Tot: 0.272s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 5; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0596s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb