Roundstone to Inishboffin


Advertisement
Ireland's flag
Europe » Ireland
June 28th 2011
Published: July 4th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Without any sound we gently slipped the mooring and sailed away from Roundstone. 0630. Its a tricky enough bit of navigation going west because of hazards but we sailed wsw for a point 3 miles south of Slyne Head. We motored at 4 knots against high seas. Once we were west of Slyne Head we turned north and the boat moved into its true element with a six knot sail. We were a bit apprehensive about Slyne Head because everybodu mentions it with respect. And there was a big sea as we passed it. A British boat closer to the head than we were struggle to make way against the tide and the sea but once they cleared the head they passed us to the east. We wondered why they were faster and had a look at the main sail. It was saggy and creased. With a tweak of the outhaul and a tightening of the vang it took on a much better shape! Any plus for Moritz's dinghy training. I had thought that the sailwas just banjaxed with age. But no..... it filled and curved beautifully.
11 degrees took us through High Island sound. This is a beautiful island with remarkable monastis remains. We paused once through the sound to try for fish but again we failed. Where are all the mackerel?
There are two towers as transit into beautiful Boffin harbour and we entered and anchored with a group of four other sailing boats off the main ferry pier. It took about eight hours and I was happy to get to Boffin. We went ashore and M had a shower in the community centre. The care taker has to swith on the heating for an hour to heat the water. No charge cause the water was only luke warm. Next day I requested a shower and was told to call back in an hour. This time the water was hot and I paid 3 euro! This is a beautiful island. It has been inhabited for nearly 10,000 years. in 1850 it had a population of over 1000. Now it's 150. There are three hotels. We went to Doonans (?) where there was a trad group playing. Heaven.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.224s; Tpl: 0.008s; cc: 10; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0403s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb