Gardens and history


Advertisement
Ireland's flag
Europe » Ireland » County Wicklow
May 4th 2018
Published: May 4th 2018
Edit Blog Post

Another early start and long day of adventures.

We checked out of the place in Dublin, and were delighted that the GPS could work. We were NOT delighted with the terrible traffic - and we had hoped to go easily south from the city. Oh well. We went the "fast" way to Powerscourt Garcens and they were gorgeous, AND the temperatures rose to about 70 and such sun that I have a red neck now! Rhodies were out, and black tulips. This used to be a huge home with estate, but the house suffered fatal fire in the 90s. Then we headed over to the highest waterfalls in Ireland (lovely but not very tall) and then over the river and thru the woods to Glendalough, a monastic settlement of great import. Lovely walk. We didn't really realize how close to Dublin we still were, however, and had to call our hosts to say it would be more like 7 than 6. What a lovely place this B&B is. We then drove about 20 more mins south to Dunmore East and yes we saw about 12 delightful thatched cottages down on the coast, and had delicious dinner - having had only 2 pc of toast for brekfast, 1/2 cookie and some chips while dashing around the gardens we were hungry! David had fish and chips, Jean a seafood chowder with heavy dark bread. And a red lemonade/bitter shandy. Whatever - it was great. Now we are tired and sticky and readying for bed.


Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement



Tot: 0.051s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 12; qc: 19; dbt: 0.0331s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb