Irish Touring Day 7 Caher Castle and Glendalough


Advertisement
Ireland's flag
Europe » Ireland » County Tipperary » Tipperary
June 2nd 2007
Published: August 8th 2007
Edit Blog Post


Driving in Ireland
Another rainy day. We decided on the caves at Michelstown or Caher Castle. It ended up being Caher because the caves tour was in another hour and also everyone was worried that, because of the rain, the caves would be dripping wet. (more than likely)
Caher Castle (1142) offers tours but we chose to just wander around and feel the atmosphere of the place. It is a very impressive river -island castle and if ever you wanted to see a castle on a rock, surrounded by a moat, (well river actually) full of turrets, towers, massive walls, defences and dungeons, this is it. The inside has not been done up like nearby Rock of Cashel and is smaller but it wins hands down for allowing you to wander around freely and not fight the crowds.
Another castle surrendered to Cromwell in 1650 without a struggle (apparently he wrote them a courtesy note asking them to give up nicely...or else).

Afternoon saw us driving on to Glendalough. YHA fantastic (A round tower just next door!) and the girls were happy to relax and play cards and watch a video (Jurassic Park) Herve and I went for a walk around the lovely monastic settlement tucked beside two lakes and overshadowed by the walls of a deep valley. Stunning scenery.


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement



Tot: 0.364s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 13; qc: 73; dbt: 0.0952s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb