Rock of Cashel- "Cashel of the Kings"


Advertisement
Ireland's flag
Europe » Ireland » County Tipperary » Cashel
November 19th 2011
Published: December 1st 2011
Edit Blog Post

We hopped on the 9am bus from Cork to Cashel on a wet and miserable day. We were very excited to see this very popular Irish tourist attraction in County Tipperary so the rain wasnt going to ruin it for us! We arrived in the centre of town around 10.30-11am and decided we would go and see this amazing castle! We walked for about 5-10 minutes in the rain following the distant view of the Rock of Cashel. After a small hike up a small hill.. that felt like a big hill we were finally there! We paid our entry fees and ran through the rain into a small cinema room to watch a short 10 minute film about the history of the Rock of Cashel. Once the film was over and we had eaten our homepacked nutella sandwiches we decided to make our way around the castle. It was smaller inside than i thought, but maybe this was due to the rennovations that were underway. It was so HUGE! and absolutely beautiful, even in the cold rain! We learnt alot about the Rock of cashel little facts such as most of the buildings on the site date from the 12th and 13th centuries when the rock was gifted to the Church and that long before the Norman invasion the Rock of Cashel was the seat of the High Kings of Munster. We took many photos of this picturesque heritage site.

After we were finished discovering the Rock of Cashel we treked back into town where we decided to get some hot sausage rolls and corey a pie and a coffee. We wandered the streets and looked throughout the shops, corey forcing me not to spend a dime! After a splitting headache and being very drenched we decided to call it a day with a well needed snooze on the bus trip home.


Additional photos below
Photos: 39, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 0.104s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 9; qc: 52; dbt: 0.0527s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb