Angela's ashes


Advertisement
Ireland's flag
Europe » Ireland » County Limerick » Limerick
June 14th 2017
Published: June 26th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Mike and FrankMike and FrankMike and Frank

At the Frank McCourt museum
Off to Limerick, again with a couple of our fellow guests at the Castle, this time two women whose husbands were off golfing. Mike wanted to see the Frank McCourt Museum (http://www.frankmccourtmuseum.com/) and a bit of Limerick so we set out.

We put "Limerick Visitor's Center" into the GPS and were taken/directed to just that--the Visitor's Center. For Limerick University. We went into the Student Union type building, met some lovely students, found out some basic information about the University (at least enough for Susan to deduct the whole trip as 'business-related', haha!) and directions to the Visitor's Center downtown. Re-directed the GPS and tried again.

Found the garage at the Quay, just as the helpful student had said. The garage was a bit of an adventure as it climbed very tightly up and up. Walked across the street to the Visitor's Center. Found a cafe and gift shop. No indication where the Center was now located. Asked the Hop On Hop Off bus guy and got directions. Walked on down the main street and found it! Luckily for us, the Center was on the way to the Museum.

The Museum is housed in what was, in the
King John's CastleKing John's CastleKing John's Castle

From across the river
book Angela's Ashes, Leamy's School. It was great--a wonderful host who knew McCourt (Frank died, 2008), told a lovely story, showed us the exhibits, and answered questions. Upstairs, there were models of the rooms as Frank recounted them--kitchen, bedroom in "Italy". A real highlight of the trip. So entranced Mike and I both forgot to take pictures of anything!

Wandered around the corner (led by a map) to the Limerick City Gallery of Art (http://gallery.limerick.ie/), a museum of modern art. A Carnegie building, it also housed a nice little cafe, Zest, where we ate lunch.

Also, in Limerick, there is "Another damn castle" as one of our group called them by this, only our fourth day touring. Built by King John when he was still Prince John, we walked along the riverside (the 'deadly Shannon') and around the Castle. On the way back to the garage, we stopped at the Locke Bar, had a beer, and watched the ducks, other birds, and river float by. Very nice.

Great day and a bit unexpected--none of the travel places recommend Limerick as it's fairly industrial but we enjoyed it.


Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement

Closer viewCloser view
Closer view

Lovely river walk
St Mary CathedralSt Mary Cathedral
St Mary Cathedral

If it isn't a castle, it's a cathedral!!


Tot: 0.168s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 10; qc: 60; dbt: 0.0939s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb