Day 13 Galway to Croagh via Kiltormer


Advertisement
Ireland's flag
Europe » Ireland » County Limerick » Adare
April 30th 2018
Published: April 30th 2018
Edit Blog Post

Everything normal today; argued like crazy as we negotiated our way out of Galway city morning peak hour traffic before we settled down into sedate country driving before arriving at the very small village of Kiltormer, to visit an ex colleague's primary school, which she last attended in 1999, but is still held in high esteem by the staff who are still present. Wonderful, welcoming teachers. Jane and I were welcomed with open arms and invited to speak to the whole school of 33 students ranging from year 1 to 6. Questions came flying from the youngsters, particularly about Australia's animals. I taught them Glenn Capelli's, "I Have a Magic Brain", which they videoed and now will make it their own. A truly joyous and wonderful 'recovery' to the day!

The drive took us through some beautiful countryside where we saw the neatest of the neatest field stone fences.

We passed through Lisdoonvarna, the match making (as in people) capital of the world. Onto Doolin, before our objective, the Cliffs of Moher, in the county of Clare, over looking the Atlantic Ocean. The cliffs rise 214m at their highest point and have a length of 8 kms.

Heading
to our B&B, "Ballycannon Lodge in Croagh, we thought our highlights for the day were ended. How wrong we were. This is Ireland and we find it keeps throwing up the unexpected or by now we should realise, the expected. Our error, the absolutely most beautiful town of Adare. We spent quite a few hours in this exquisite town, returning to our accommodation well past 9pm. As I've been writing, I hope the photos do our experiences credit.

We happened across Adare Manor, owned by J. P. McManners, the billionaire Irish racehorse owner, who, for many years now, has sent horses to the Melbourne Cup, Australia's premier race on the first Tuesday in November. We were nice, quick talking Aussies to the gate concierge who let us in to explore. Lucky us.

Our accommodation for tonight is absolutely first class. Last nights was not rateable! So ends another memorable day in so many ways.


Additional photos below
Photos: 28, Displayed: 23


Advertisement
















Tot: 0.092s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 12; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0438s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb