Tralee Roses


Advertisement
Ireland's flag
Europe » Ireland » County Kerry » Dingle
September 8th 2012
Published: September 8th 2012
Edit Blog Post

I got a big disappointment today (9/5)—the bus to the Ring of Kerry from Tralee has stopped running now that peak summer season is over. So I might not be able to go after all. After hearing that news I walked around to find food again. I didn't eat until 5:00pm today (aka 17:00)—breakfast. All I ate before that were a few shortcake biscuits I'd bought in Limerick.

I went back to the street where The Grand Hotel was and picked another hotel to eat in; The Imperial Hotel. I sat at the bar and was waited on by Vlad, a waiter/bartender from Romania. He told me he's been in Ireland for 5 years (he looked about my age), thanks to his friends, who came here. He said he'd never been to America but that he WOULD go. He told me it's hard to get a visa. He also said it is hard living in Ireland because there are so many gypsies. I'm not sure what that meant exactly, maybe that it's hard to make friends here. But he seemed to have his click of friends. I told him I hoped he'd get to DC soon, where another friend or two of his lived for a while. He was nice, very hardworking. He was constantly moving: cleaning, clearing, washing, fixing, explaining, welcoming, adjusting the music, etc. and the hotel bar wasn't even that busy. I'm sure he'll make it to America; he seemed determined to get there.

After my delicious breakfast? of leg of lamb, mashed potatoes, and steamed vegetables, with a side of Guinness and flavored water (black currant syrup—Vlad's suggestion), I walked around the Tralee Rose Garden, enjoying the evening sun. I had just missed the Rose Festival that happened last week, but it was still beautiful, even with wilting blooms and half-bare branches. All around the park were backdrops of church steeples, with the hills of the countryside peeking out among the trees. It's just incredible what lack of commercial development is like—so much more pleasant, really. More community feeling, more friendly.

In the park I met the most lovely older man on a bike as I was walking. He spoke of heaven—asked me if I believed in it—I said yes and he asked me where I thought it was. I said in the spirit world—the predicatable, dumb answer that I don't think I believe anyway. He said, 'No, love. Heaven is here on earth.' I love this guy.

He and I talked for a while, he told me about a book he had read that spoke of heaven on earth, but that he'd lost it. He said you can tell if people are good or not by looking in their eyes—and he could tell my age by looking in my eyes, he got it right! (Most people think I'm 18-19 here, and a student). He told me to say my prayers every night (because you never know if you'll be getting up the next morning) and to drink 6 pints of water every day (he drinks 8 pints a day). He wanted me to meet him in the park tomorrow morning at 8am, offered to marry me, jokingly; asked if I could see myself living in Ireland. He said I have won the Rose Festival contest for the Rose of Tralee—the most beautiful woman at the festival. He asked if I would come to the festival next year, and I said I would love to if I could save up enough to visit again.

He told me there were lots of nice Irish boys to marry, but not to pick one that drinks. He said drinking and drugs only lead you wrong. What an awesome guy! We got to talking about my Ring of Kerry disappointment and he stopped a guy he knew in the park and got his advice. They talked it over and suggested I rent a car for the day to drive the Ring. I told them I'd have to think about it, knowing full well I wouldn't drive. But they were very friendly and helpful.

I took that encounter as a fated experience almost. It was meant to happen, and he was meant to say those things to me. Heaven on earth. God is not somewhere out there, He's right here.


Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement



8th September 2012

This entry and the one after were great. Your conversations with these people are so interesting and fun. You did a great job of describing them as well. I loved it!

Tot: 0.082s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 9; qc: 47; dbt: 0.0466s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb