Ireland the North 1. Ardara


Advertisement
Ireland's flag
Europe » Ireland » County Galway
June 5th 2022
Published: June 5th 2022
Edit Blog Post

Ireland the North 1 Sunday Ardara

What a cracking day. First of all the sun shone all day and it was warm at about 18 deg. at teatime with an easterly wind which hardly affected us adversely.
Heading west along the coast of Donegal Bay was very pleasant and fairly easy despite a few climbs inland. Maybe my legs were feeling good after the rest day yesterday which affected my mood. I think without the rest today may have been purgatory. Having said that a walker kept passing us up one hill. Killybegs harbour looked splendid with quite a few ships alongside and wind turbine blades and columns in store. We grabbed a brew and bite here at about 11.30 since we thought that nothing more could be found afterwards. However, I found a pub/cafe with outside seating and a convenience store in Carrick at 55km. The views to Carrick were exceptional and a new vista appeared around every corner - oh no, sorry, after every steep hill. At Carrick we headed inland over the bogs where peat was left to dry for winter fuel. The climbs kept coming and we wiggled our way over one hill after another to the Glenesh Pass where there was a limestone quarry which was very much like marble. As we descended from the quarry we were treat to the most amazing view that no photograph can effectively capture. I am just glad that we were descending and not ascending,since it was like Hardknott Pass in the Lake District, massive and steep. What a pleasure it was and as we got further down there were mussel farms in the long estuary, which stretched for miles (kilometres actually). After the big descent I thought our legs may get some rest but no such thing. The road continued to undulate steeply all the way into Ardara and our wonderful rooms in the Nesbitt Arms Hotel. This is a big property with an underground car park guarded by electronically operated gates which Frank managed to get stuck behind for some time until a kind passerby arranged for the hotel staff to come to his rescue.
I can only think that this was possibly be the best day so far. It will take some beating, but I believe the north coast is also something very special. I must now get my washing done before the sun sets.
Average
dinner tonight in hotel. The Guinness was good. Breakfast at 8 then down to Centra to buy some lunch before departure.



Additional photos below
Photos: 15, Displayed: 15


Advertisement








Tot: 0.071s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 12; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0529s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb