Ireland- The Calender Pub Crawl


Advertisement
Ireland's flag
Europe » Ireland » County Galway » Galway
September 16th 2006
Published: September 16th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0


Arrived at Dublin airport and got picked up by Em in her work provided BMW (beats a work van!).
We got back to where she lives at Portarlington and headed straight for her local pub. I've been dying for a real Guinness so they went back very smoothly and quickly. Em was happy to see someone that could keep up with her, but disappointed that she was now the second fastest drinker.
The next morning after a sleepin, we headed out on our calender pub crawl. For those who don't know, Alex a friend of ours, challenged Em to visit every pub on an Irish pubs calender she bought a year or two ago. By the time I'd arrived, she had visited 2. Our first stop was Cork, in South Ireland where we could not find anyone that knew the existence of the pub in question. A bad start. Most people said that it either didn't exist, or was a typo and actually in Dublin. We headed to the next two towns, Kildare and Clonakilty (going from memory, so excuse the spelling of these crazy places). We found the first pub, which was open. Had lunch there and a pint. Got the calender signed by the owner and took photos of the outside. Next stop, the pub was there but had been closed down. Took photos and headed north towards the Dingle peninsula where we managed to find another two pubs on the list. The first one was there but had recently closed down and was up for lease. The second one was open though, and we made up for the others being closed and sank a fair few pints. I tried a limited edition Toucan Guinness with its own limited edition pint glass. Nice, prefered the original, but to say I've had a few pints is something a lot of others can't. Also, I managed to "obtain/souvenir" the glass, which was cool.
The next day we headed up to Galway in the West of Ireland for another four pubs. The first pub was there but not open, so we could only get pics. The next pub, which has a thatched roof was open, so we went in, got a signature, and had a pint. The next two pubs were in the main pub strip of Galway, so we had a few pints there, got signatures and had the photos done.
The next day, we headed back to Portarlington, where we intend to rest up, before heading up to Belfast for a look and down to Dublin to visit the second to last pub on the calender (Em is doing the last on her own... or she'd better, otherwise she's not allowed back to Australia).
After that, its on to Oktoberfest! Looking forward to that one!
See you then.
PS- Just to make it clear, I did not always outdrink Em at every pub we visited. She did finish first a few times. Happy, Em?
PPS- To the guys back at home.. she drank cider (which doesn't really count, right?)

Advertisement



17th September 2006

Cider...
Of course it doesn't count....

Tot: 0.073s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 11; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0387s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb