Day 5 - Barefoot in Galway


Advertisement
Ireland's flag
Europe » Ireland » County Galway » Galway
July 19th 2012
Published: July 20th 2012
Edit Blog Post

Sleep is a glorious thing, especially after being completely exhausted. Today we slept in until about 12:30 pm. It was heavenly…until of course the construction, that sounded like a mass murder situation, began right outside our window. Oh well, it was probably best to get up anyway.



For lunch we went to a cheese mongers shop and had a splendid cheese and dip tray with bread and wine. Not only did I feel like the classiest person in Ireland, it tasted amazing as well. It was definitely a good lunch choice.



After lunch we decided to wander a bit and inevitably end up at the Galway Bay Lighthouse. After taking a few too many unplanned detours, we finally found it. The walkway to get there was much longer in person than we expected. For some reason though, we still chose to walk it. After getting about ¾ of the way there, we discovered the sign that says “no pedestrian access”. Well, wish that would’ve been at the beginning of the dauntingly long walk. Not cool.



We did however manage to find a place to sit among some large brick cinder blocks that were strategically placed along the walkway next to the water. Just sitting and staring out at the water with the light breeze going, it was a picture perfect moment. So naturally, I took pictures, which will be posted at a later date!



After our time at the Bay, I began to realize that the new shoes I had purchased for the trip weren’t such a good idea. So I took them off. Barefoot in Galway. My friends thought it was hilarious but considering it was only for a brief stent along a paved walkway, I figured I’d be ok.



The show we saw was called The Outgoing Tide. It was a very melancholy piece about an old man getting Alzheimer’s and then deciding to kill himself before it got worse, so that his wife and son would have money to live on and they wouldn’t have to take care of him. The acting and the set were completely brilliant. It was the kind of show that you can become so invested in you literally forget it’s live theatre and end up wanting to shout “Don’t do it!”. That’s how you know it’s good theatre.



So that’s the bulk of my day. Relaxing, enjoyable, and just what I needed to recharge for the rest of my stay!

Advertisement



20th July 2012

Not surprised
Not surprised about the bare feet! But did you applaud the suicide scene??? Sounds like a fabulous adventure! Can't wait to see more pictures! Buy towels! Love, Mom :)

Tot: 0.25s; Tpl: 0.016s; cc: 7; qc: 41; dbt: 0.0499s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb