Connemara


Advertisement
Ireland's flag
Europe » Ireland » County Galway » Connemara
May 14th 2011
Published: May 22nd 2011
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0


Now that the bike trip is over, the remainder of our visit would be by car. We stayed in Galway for two days. Thi region is know as the Connemara and it is absolutely beautiful. Lots of trees, open pastures, mountains and rivers dot the landscape. Our plan was to head to the national park to clime Diamondhead, a mountain peak that gives a spectacular view of the valley to the bay of Galway. On the way, we stopped and lunched on cheese and bread we bought at the Galway market that morning, sitting by a mountain stream. We then stopped at Kylemore Abbey near Clifden, an 18th century castle run by benedictine nuns. Absolutely spectacular and the gardens were just blooming. Then we climbed Diamond Hill (but only the second 'blue' path...too late to climb the third path to the very top) then to Clifdon for a great dinner. We made it back to Galway quite late that night. Kylemore Abbey was one of the unexpected highlights of our trip so far.

I promised my colleages that I would mention one incident...while driving the winding roads in Galway, we came upon a curve where traffic was backed up a bit...cars/trucks on both sides and the road was too narrow for everyone to pass. Now there was an elderly gaelic woman walking on our side of the road...between our car and the wall..she had a lovely happy smile on her face...out for a pleasant walk...and she was a wee bit large...as Brian was edging forward, he didn't give her too much room and she had to turn sideways to not be squeezed by the car. Her smile quickly disappeared...I am sure she was uttering some colorful gaelic phrases to us as well!

Gaelic phrase of the day: An luck na hÉireann
(The luck of the Irish)


Additional photos below
Photos: 15, Displayed: 15


Advertisement

Our little carOur little car
Our little car

Yes we fit...me in the back most of the time...perfectly happy.
Diamond Hill mapDiamond Hill map
Diamond Hill map

We took the blue path...
Path up Diamond HillPath up Diamond Hill
Path up Diamond Hill

Connemara National Forest
View from Diamond HillView from Diamond Hill
View from Diamond Hill

Weather was not cooperating...still quite pretty.


22nd May 2011

Kylemore!
Hi Mark- I've only been to Ireland once and have to say that Kylemore Abbey was the most memorable part of my trip - thanks for bringing back such a great memory! Sounds like you're having a ball!

Tot: 0.16s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 12; qc: 31; dbt: 0.0887s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb