Kilronan to Roundstone


Advertisement
Ireland's flag
Europe » Ireland » County Galway » Aran Islands
June 28th 2011
Published: July 2nd 2011
Edit Blog Post

We finally set sail from Kilronan early Thursday with the intention of going straight to Inishboffin but the winds were NW F4-5 and right on the nose. We tacked back and forth for hours and at one stage we were 5miles SW of Eerigh Light ttruing to get into a favourable position to round Slyne Head. But it was not to be. Having left at 0630 we were looking at an ETA of 2100 so decided to cut in to Roundstone. That was a great decision because as soon as we north we had fair winds oon opur port. We navigated with care through the approaches to Roundstone. I was last here on FR with Ray about six years ago. With Moritz on the tiller we sailed right up to a mooring without turning on the engine. Moritz's dinghy traing paid off as he brought FR to a beautiful halt. Next morning we departed under sail alone.
Moritz went for a stroll and a swim at Gurteen Bay while I visited Kings Bar. Last time I was here with Ray we ended up being part of the background while RTE filmed a local sean nos singer with a wonderful name like JohnnyPatten Mike. We were locked into the bar for the filming and while Ronan Collins interviewed JohnnyPateen. There followed a sing song with Ray, myself and gthe aforementioned JPM.
I was beginning to wonder where Moritz had got to when he arrived into Kings about 2200. We were treated to two plates of toasted sandwiches when we enquied whether there was a chipper in the village. There isn't and the sambos were on the house. What lovely people. I met a guy called Billy Quinn who is connected with Galwegians where Liam Weldon plays. Of course he knew Ray.

Advertisement



2nd July 2011

hello! and safe travels!
Hi Pat, Emily here. Met you in Kilronan at Joe Mac's. Hope your travels are going well! Keep the posts coming. I'd love to know more about what inspired the trip. -Emily LettersToAran.blogspot.com
3rd July 2011

sound's like your having some good times on the boat. nice one.blacky
5th July 2011

Hi Kieran..... yes it is really fantastic at times and really shite at other times. Basically when its sunny we are having a good time and when its wet its miserable. But we have been to some amazing places like Inishmaan and Inishboffin. Right now we are anchored in a place called Frenchport in Mayo and about to do a long (15 hour) overnight sail to Killybegs in Donegal. Looking forward to seeing you in August. Pat

Tot: 0.223s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 12; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0552s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb