Dublin


Advertisement
Ireland's flag
Europe » Ireland » County Dublin » Dublin
October 28th 2013
Published: October 28th 2013
Edit Blog Post

Trinity College Dublin VTrinity College Dublin VTrinity College Dublin V

In Dublin, we visited the School of Education at Trinity College. Afterward we met some students on holiday from Germany. A fieldtrip group was also passing by and this photo emerged. — en Trinity College, Dublin.
This October, I had the chance to visit Ireland and the United Kingdom to learn about their education system. I was humbled to be joined by accomplished professors, teachers, and administrators as part of a group representing Phi Delta Kappa, a professional education fraternity. I want to wholeheartedly thank Teachers College Columbia University and Phi Delta Kappa for their generous support and for making this trip possible. This blog will detail my personal experience, and the education piece can be found here.

The very first thing I noticed in Dublin, is that they drive on the other side of the road. While this may seem like a very American observation, it actually made crossing busy and complex roads very confusing, and even on the last day I still had to wait for light signals because I never really got the hang of it!

This was the first trip that I took with an organized tour. I must admit, I had always looked down upon tour groups thinking that independent travelling was more authentic. But I discovered that by going on a tour you can get a good deal on accommodations, food, and transportation; see a lot in a short amount of time; learn a lot more from a knowledgeable guide; and also get to know your fellow tour goers. Overall, travelling with a tour group was relaxing and enjoyable because they took care of everything.

The food in the Ireland consisted of potatoes, fish, and more potatoes. Stews, pies, and cuts of other meats are found as well, but fish and chips with a pint of Guinness were never out of place. Highlights included St. Patrick’s Cathedral, where we learned about the religious history of Ireland, as well as the historically bitter relationship between the British and Irish. We also spent time at Trinity College,Ireland’s most prestigious university, meeting with their education faculty.

We capped off our stay with a visit out to Temple Bar, a popular pub scene in Dublin. At night, highly talented musicians will be play in several pubs even on weekdays, reflecting the long-known richness of Dublin’s music scene. Overall, Ireland was a great place to visit. Though the weather was mainly cold and wet, the people were warm and welcoming. I dare say even more than the English...


Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement

Guinness PieGuinness Pie
Guinness Pie

A local specialty in Ireland
Shipping Barge on the Irish SeaShipping Barge on the Irish Sea
Shipping Barge on the Irish Sea

We took a ferry from Ireland to Wales, and left early in the morning. This shot is of a shipping barge from the ferry.


Tot: 0.062s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 13; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0332s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb