University College of Dublin Veterinary Hospital


Advertisement
Ireland's flag
Europe » Ireland » County Dublin » Dublin
May 15th 2012
Published: May 16th 2012
Edit Blog Post

Hi everyone! This is Kelli Matheny, and I will take the next few minutes to tell you about our day. We arrived in Dublin tired, but excited to begin our activities. We first traveled by bus to the University College of Dublin Veterinary Hospital where we were greeted by Professor Emily Hill. She explained how she started her studies as a human geneticist, but found a way to combine both her love of genetics with her admiration of horses. In 2004, she set up a program to analyze genes in the horse that specifically contribute to performance traits. She and colleges developed a test that utilizes the genetic make up of an individual horse to determine which length race that horse is best suited for. We then were able to eat lunch in the veterinary hospitals snack bar. After finishing lunch, we were taken on a tour of the hospital. I found it interesting that the breezeway and wards of the hospital were extremely similar to the setup of Purdue University's. The doctors and students at the hospital were friendly and egerly answered our questions. After leaving the hospital, we had an enormous dinner at O'Neills Bar and Restaraunt. We ended the day by walking around Dublin and taking in the sites.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.073s; Tpl: 0.008s; cc: 9; qc: 47; dbt: 0.037s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb