Fitting that we come full circle with a little HURLING


Advertisement
Ireland's flag
Europe » Ireland » County Dublin » Dublin
January 3rd 2012
Published: February 9th 2012
Edit Blog Post

locker roomlocker roomlocker room

this kid was in his own little mecca, that smile didn't leave his face for 2 hours
OK, last blog for now, and I promise I'll keep it short. It was our last day in Ireland and we opted for immersion into what looked throughout our journey like the coolest sport on earth, Hurling. Not the full-contact departure of one's recently-eaten meal, but the version featuring men in short shorts with long sticks.

It just doesn't take much to crack me up.

I am not at all sure how I had never seen or heard of the sport, especially as many club teams are springing up in the US - indeed Boston even has a professional team! Here is a quick peak at what hurling looks like:
"> Hurling It's not as though ESPN is never on in our house. COME ON ESPN, get with the program! You show POKER for cryin' out loud.

It was a long 20' across the street from our hotel to the stadium where the morning entertainment was to take place. We joined a group on a tour of Croke Park stadium, situated on a site that has been used for Gaelic games since 1884. Over the years the stadium has grown to its current capacity of 82,000+, the fourth-largest stadium in Europe and
Croke ParkCroke ParkCroke Park
the largest not used for soccer.

A product of the GAA (Gaelic Athletics Association), which was created to promote Gaelic sports, (hurling and Gaelic football) it is only recently that other sports were allowed to be played there. The site has a lot of history including being the site of the first Bloody Sunday.

We followed our tour guide up and down and all around the stadium, onto the pitch, into the club boxes, down into the locker rooms. On the tour was an adorable kid that was about 10 who was obviously in heaven. This was quite apparently a huge dream of his, to see where his favorite players did their thing.

The most amazing thing about hurling? It's all amateur - none of the players are paid. They are school teachers and plumbers and doctors and play for the love of the sport and the pride of their counties. And that pride is HUGE. People live and die by their County colors.

It was a fun tour, even for three adults who knew nothing of the sport. Here is a video of
"> walking onto the field. I had a flashback to taking the 200BC field of Italica's colliseum last
up in the nose bleed seatsup in the nose bleed seatsup in the nose bleed seats

apparently the sun shines so little they use lights (on the white thing) to make the grass grow.
year - "> Italica .

Best part of the tour is the interactive museum where you can practice hitting a little hurling ball badly (certain it has a name but it's late and I'm lazy) kick a soccer ball poorly at small circle targets, take agility tests and demonstrate to a crowd how bad your balance skills are. We had way too much fun. That doofus Rick Steves, who would apparently rather play with the trouser press in his hotel room, only gave the stadium tour 2 stars. He's probably home watching poker on ESPN right now.

We spent the rest of the day wandering around Dublin "> (video of O'Connell Street) , enduring the rain, finding Jeff a Starbucks (for a guy who lived without his iPhone for a week, the comfort of a Starbucks cannot be underestimated), buying souvenirs and finally grabbing a few slices of Kazakhstani pizza to bring back to the hotel for dinner. About half a mile from the hotel, of course, the skies opened up and the wind howled one.freakin.last.ferocious.time. Good heavens, Ireland. We get it! It was overkill to try and murder our pizza.

But we loved you all the same, Emerald Isle. After all, we chose
Jeff 'the soccer ball point master' O'HaraJeff 'the soccer ball point master' O'HaraJeff 'the soccer ball point master' O'Hara
to come see you in your most challenging season and feel pretty good about not only surviving it but making some good memories along the way.

And since I haven't heard anything about a population-decimating pandemic since we left I'll trust that you survived us as well.


Additional photos below
Photos: 13, Displayed: 13


Advertisement

Todd trying his hand at hurlingTodd trying his hand at hurling
Todd trying his hand at hurling
the impossible balance testthe impossible balance test
the impossible balance test
the funny agility testthe funny agility test
the funny agility test
Dublin's Millenium spireDublin's Millenium spire
Dublin's Millenium spire

aka the Stiletto in the Ghetto, the Stiffey on the Liffey, the Pole in the Hole, the Poker near the Croker, the Spike in the Dike. 390' tall stainless steal thing.
the chapel at Dublin castlethe chapel at Dublin castle
the chapel at Dublin castle
downtown Dublindowntown Dublin
downtown Dublin
the Liffey riverthe Liffey river
the Liffey river
double deckers everywheredouble deckers everywhere
double deckers everywhere
the Liffeythe Liffey
the Liffey


9th February 2012

Thanks for the wrap-up
Well, fascinating closure story about hurling. One of my favorite sports to watch (after poker and quilting) is curling and I bet that I would similarly enjoy hurling. But, I still don't completely get it--you go all the way to Ireland to spend days wandering around in the fog and rain in a bitty little car, imagining from pictures in a travel brochure what it is that you are looking at and can't see, and finally ending up with a great story about men in short shorts with big sticks and small balls. Jeeze girl, this is Montezuma County! I know that we have all that and more here, and it's right out there for you, not shrouded in fog and rain. Oh well, I suspect that things like that look a lot better when you are somewhere other than your own back yard or out by the sale barn. Welcome back into our patch!
9th February 2012

Great fun
Finding the comforts of home are sometimes needed. We are enjoying your journey.
10th February 2012

Ireland Journey in Winter
You are so brave to go to the lovely Emerald Isle in the worst season of all! I'm glad to hear, however, that you were able to see all the good parts of this beautiful country--namely, the green fields, the warm and friendly people, the dedication to their sports, beer, and country--everything that makes Ireland a choice destination. Enjoy your many happy memories for years to come!

Tot: 0.249s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 23; qc: 85; dbt: 0.1453s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.3mb