Back to Dublin


Advertisement
Ireland's flag
Europe » Ireland » County Dublin » Dublin
June 15th 2011
Published: June 20th 2011
Edit Blog Post

An indoor day today. Mostly in the car today. Last day of driving on the WRONG SIDE OF THE ROAD!!!!! Not only does the UK drive on the wrong side of the road, but the Republic of Ireland has gone to kilometers from miles, but cross the bridge at Belcoo and you're back to miles, on the wrong side of the road. Conform Great Britain! So left about 1100am and turned off to see St. Patrick's Well. The road was one lane, straight as an arrow, beautiful countryside. We never found the well. Guess the church we passed was built on the site. Oh well. Ha ha! Anyway, continued back to Sligo, past the place of the ruined tire, and into a car.park near town. Had a lovely little.lunch and latte at O'Heire's bakery, the shopped a bit. Found a local artists' store where Andrea found a musical note carved out of a single piece of wood. VERY COOL. Dunnes Store was a little like Fred Meyer in the Northwest. Clothes, housewares, grocery. One stop shopping ARN found cute purple flats for 6 euros. Off again to the airport at Sligo, two hours early, didn't need to be. Kindle Scrabble helped pass the time. Security was good, the guy in front of me had a box cutter. Air Aaran let us carry our bags on board, then flight attendant Helen stowed them in the aft of the cabin. It was much clearer than on the trip up, so the 30 minute flight was beautiful. I thought of the changes in Ireland I had seen since my last trip in 1976, farms subdivided, new homes replacing the old stone homes. Vacation homes in the country, big American style homes. Some of the villages we passed through retain their charm, but have only see one thatched roof home since arriving. Maybe in the south. Will see tomorrow. Taxi into the Ashling Hotel at Heuston station 27 euro. The hotel didn't have a record of our Expedia booking but assured us it would be taken care of before morning. Dinner was in the hotel, Chadwick's. Quite good meal deals, nice service. Both of us were too tired to go out afterward. Early wake up for the Railtour in the morning.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.137s; Tpl: 0.008s; cc: 12; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0567s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb