Glendalough, Kilmainham and Howth


Advertisement
Ireland's flag
Europe » Ireland » County Dublin » Dublin
January 20th 2008
Published: January 20th 2008
Edit Blog Post

The past week and a half I have had the chance to do a lot of traveling in and around Dublin. I first headed off with a group to Glendalough. It use to be a monastic community that was founded in the 6th century by St. Kevin and lasted until the end of the 14th century when it was partly destroyed by English troops. We went on a tour of the ruins, many of which are still perfectly standing despite the fact they were constructed one millennium ago. Then we went on a hike through the valley that is surrounded by beautiful mountains and two large lakes.

Last weekend I took a double-decker bus up to Kilmainham Gaol, a famous jail in Ireland that was first created at the end of the 18th century. The jail is full of history; it housed inmates who stole food during the Great Famine and the arrested rebel leaders of the 1916 Easter Rising. These rebel leaders eventually faced the firing squad within the prison and their deaths became a rallying point for those calling for an independent Ireland.

My last group of pictures I took in Howth. I took a train with a group of my friends to this little sea-side town just to the north of Dublin. Despite the gray skies, it was a beautiful town with a great view of the Irish Sea. After we walked around the town we enjoyed fresh fish and chips.


Additional photos below
Photos: 14, Displayed: 14


Advertisement



Tot: 0.133s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 11; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0562s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb