Day Trip to Dublin (Kym's 30th)


Advertisement
Ireland's flag
Europe » Ireland » County Dublin » Dublin
July 14th 2018
Published: December 10th 2021
Edit Blog Post

Our friend Kym for her 30th birthday wanted to do a day trip to Dublin. Rather than do a day trip, Fiona and I would have preferred to have gone for a long weekend, but with moving house the following Friday, we decide a day trip is better as we need time to pack before our big house move. It's funny the other two times I've been to Dublin have been day trips as well, but only work related.

To make the most out of our day trip meant catching an early flight out of Heathrow. Our plane journey is a short 1 hour flight. When we get to Dublin, it is still early in the morning. We buy energy drinks to wake up and then grab a bus and before long we have arrived into the city centre.

We start off at the Trinity College Dublin, this college's central location makes the perfect start to our trip. It was created by royal charter from Queen Elizabeth I in 1592 and its university is the best in Ireland. We are blessed with lovely blue skies and sunshine as we walk the grounds. We visit the Trinity College's library also known as The Old Library and the Book of Kells. Inside is housed the Book of Kells, a 9th-century gospel manuscript. Only a few pages are on display at one time and so we get a quick glimpse as many visitors are eager to see it. We enjoy the long room and admire looking at so many old and rare books; 200,000 in total. We also admire one of the oldest medieval harps in Ireland.

We then enjoy a stroll through Dublin, enjoying the sunny weather, we find ourselves walking under The Umbrellas, a lane off South Anne Street. The colours of the different umbrellas really standing out. We continue to walk down busy shopping streets until we find ourselves at Fusiliers' Arch, a monument which forms part of an entrance into St. Stephen's Green Park.

After a brief but pleasant walk through St. Stephen's Park, we stroll down streets until we reach St Patrick's Cathedral. This beautiful grey cathedral was built between 1220 and 1260 and is one of the few buildings left of medieval Dublin. Inside the cathedral is The Door of Reconciliation, a story that entails two Irish families back in 1492 that were involved in a bitter feud. One of the families realized the fighting with the other family was getting out of control and so took refuge in the Chapter House of the cathedral. The other family followed them and asked them to come out to make peace. The other family afraid of being slaughtered refused, so as a gesture of good faith the man of the other family had a hole cut in the door and then offered his hand in peace. This was seen as serious intention to the other family and so both men from the families shook hands through the door. The story of this door is known as a famous expression in Ireland "to chance your arm".

We look for somewhere to eat and find this beautiful café/bar/restaurant called The Church. This place is a wonderful restored church dating back to the 17th century, and quite a unique setting. Fiona's parents are Irish and she would spend many summer holidays with her mum in Ireland, visiting family. It's been a while since she last came to Ireland and so insists on having a Cidona, its like a sparkling apple juice and very refreshing.

After lunch, we carry on strolling around until we reach Dublin Castle. This castle was erected in the early thirteenth century on the existing site of a Viking settlement. The castle served for centuries as the headquarters of English and later British administration in Ireland. It was handed over to the new Irish government in 1922, following Ireland's independence from Great Britain.

We book a tour, which is divided into three different sections, as we are taken through the various eras of the castle. We first visit the medieval tower section dating back to when the Vikings invaded the city in the 9th century. From here, we go underground. To this day, the River Poddle still passes through the underground and visible on our tour. Next, we visit the Chapel Royal with gothic architecture followed by a tour of the State Apartments, that are still used to this day for private functions and large celebrations, which include the inauguration of the Irish president.

We end our visit with a trip to Hard Rock Café for a well deserved cocktail / mocktail for Fiona 😉





Additional photos below
Photos: 27, Displayed: 25


Advertisement



25th December 2021

Dublin
Dublin is a beautiful city. You did a lot in a day. You will definitely need to go back for a longer stay.
30th December 2021

Dublin
I totally agree! hopefully will go back some day for at least a long weekend :)
29th January 2022

Dublin in a Day
Wow! I'm amazed you were able to do a day trip to Dublin! And what a lot you were able to fit in! This is good timing and good inspiration for me, as I'm hoping to visit Dublin soon - thanks for all the great ideas of what to visit! ?
4th February 2022

Dublin
I think the key was arriving in Dublin just as everywhere was opening. I'd have preferred a long weekend, but with the house move the Friday after we had little time. I look forward to seeing your Dublin adventure :)

Tot: 0.113s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 13; qc: 32; dbt: 0.0352s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb