Ireland the North 1 Donegal


Advertisement
Ireland's flag
Europe » Ireland » County Donegal » Donegal
June 2nd 2022
Published: June 3rd 2022
Edit Blog Post

Ireland Friday Donegal

Last night I had a walk along the Garavogue riverbank behind the hotel in amazing sunny conditions, a marked contrast to the weather when we arrived. I circled back along some quite run down streets with businesses and bars closed down. Having said that the city itself is very vibrant and full of people in the move.
We got away under an overcast sky with occasional sun on pleasant roads to our first stop at the nice Jam Pot cafe in Grange. The scenery,whilst nice,was not as outstanding as previous days with green countryside of beef cows and sheep. The route was rolling and away from main roads as much as possible with occasional meanders around the coast. At one point there were three men fishing in a fast flowing estuary, one of who was leaning on a bent stick whilst holding his rod in the other hand. I wonder if they caught anything? Ballyshannon was very busy as we cycled through as I think there is a music festival this weekend. The route took us past the old Abbey Mill with its waterwheel and what is purportedly the oldest bridge in Ireland. This preceded a big, long, hill and an unnecessary descent and climb back out from a holiday resort full of mobile homes - a site we do not wish to see. Following this was a grind (for me at least) to Donegal into a headwind going up and down, up and down until a steady descent into town. At one point I reckoned I had 20km to go and saw a sign with 12 on it. I thought I must have miscalculated and was full of optimism for a finish only to find 12 km later that I still had 8km to go. I reckon that the 12 was in miles and not km. A lawsuit is in the post for falsely causing mental suffering.
The Atlantic guest house is more basic than previous stays but clean and acceptable for our two night stopover. We were recommended the Dom’s Pier 1 for the evening meal and we were not disappointed. The sun came out after we arrived mid afternoon and is still shining after 9pm. Let’s hope it stays this way. Will the washing dry tonight?


Additional photos below
Photos: 14, Displayed: 14


Advertisement


Toilet sign Toilet sign
Toilet sign

Budoran cafe
Male toilet signMale toilet sign
Male toilet sign

Bundoran cafe
Abbey Mill Abbey Mill
Abbey Mill

Ballyshannon



Tot: 0.461s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 14; qc: 56; dbt: 0.1411s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb