Off to Kinsale


Advertisement
Ireland's flag
Europe » Ireland » County Cork » Kinsale
April 14th 2017
Published: April 14th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Kathy at University College of CorkKathy at University College of CorkKathy at University College of Cork

The campus of UCC was beautiful.
After a good night’s sleep in our comfy efficiency, we had a good breakfast and headed to the University College of Cork (UCC). Very nice campus with a mix of new buildings in with the very much older buildings. Very nice job of blending the old and the new. George Boole , the father of boolean algebra, taught at UCC for a number of years. Then it was on to Fitzgerald Park along the River Lee. There, Kathy and I toured the local museum consisting of Cork’s role in the 1916 Irish uprising as well as fragments of history dating as far back as 750 AD. As we worked our way west of the city we found ourselves strolling along some narrow winding roads in the midtown district with small Apts and shops. A stop for a cup of coffee at The Old Post Office and we headed home for some relaxing.

About 4:00 we headed to Galliger's Pub for a snack and then on to Sin 'e for Irish music and Guinness. I could not find Erlinger beer that was recommended by a friend but the Guinness was good anyway. The music was authenic Irish music with 2 fiddles
Kathy on Shakey BridgeKathy on Shakey BridgeKathy on Shakey Bridge

The Shakey Bridge stretched across the South branch of the River Lee.
and 2 flutes. It was very good.

Friday, Kathy and I headed to Kinsale, south of Cork. Kinsale is a small fishing and boating village with a wide veriety of pubs and restaurants. We stopped for a cup of coffee to look at the maps and formulate a gameplan. A quick six mile jaunt around the area including Charles Fort built around 1650AD and we headed for something to eat. Since it was Good Friday, all the pubs were closed but we certainly enjoyed some excellent seafood chowder.


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement

Charles FortCharles Fort
Charles Fort

Inside Charles Fort which was built sometime around 1650.
Port at KinsalePort at Kinsale
Port at Kinsale

Lots of nice sailboats
Port Area of KinsalePort Area of Kinsale
Port Area of Kinsale

Lots of boats and old buildings. All of which are within walking distance of the pubs.


16th April 2017

Looks Perfect for Relaxing!
Sounds like the perfect area for strolling and relaxing...but no rain?
16th April 2017

No Rain
We can't believe our luck on the rain. After our hike we have only had a couple of days of some rain. It has been cloudy and partly cloudy but no rain ;)

Tot: 0.151s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 51; dbt: 0.1194s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb