Cork Historical and Archaeological Society


Advertisement
Ireland's flag
Europe » Ireland » County Cork » Cork
July 2nd 2016
Published: June 25th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: 51.8979, -8.47111

The morning started with beautiful sunny weather. Our first outing was to the annual meeting of the Cork Historical and Archaeological Society, but on the way we stopped off at the Coffee House for a quick breakfast. It's the nearest place to get food, but we hadn't gone in before saving it for when we might be rushed or too tired to go farther. As it turned out, the coffee and croissants were delicious. We should have tried it sooner.

The conference took place in St. Peters church on North Main taking about twenty minutes to walk there. We went, although the speakers did not seem to be particularly pertinent to Phil's research, because Lorna had insisted that we go paying for our ten euro registration fee. Phil did find the information about advertising in early 20th century Cork from one of the speaker's to be interesting and worth his time. Unfortunately, the lecture hall was one large, concrete room with terrible acoustics. Between that fact and the Irish accents of all but one speaker, it was very hard to understand the presentations. We left at the lunch break and did not return for the afternoon sessions.

When
we left the conference, a soft rain had started. We walked back to Serendipity Café for lunch and sat in their back, indoor/outdoor room that is structured more like a greenhouse than a restaurant. We could hear the rain coming down even stronger there. By the time we had finished eating, it had almost stopped. Walking back to the apartment, we did not get very wet. We both bought new waterproof jackets before this trip, and we have been happy to have them on several wet days. The rain starts and stops quickly and falls mostly straight down in small, lightweight drops. However overall, we have had very nice weather with more than the usual amount sunshine.

During the afternoon, Phil worked for hours to get papers graded and other schoolwork caught up. I did another load of laundry, then went out to find an ATM and take-away dinner for us. We check out tomorrow and pick up a hire car to head north and find our hotel for one night in Adare, Co. Limerick.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.229s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 9; qc: 54; dbt: 0.0586s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb