UK TOUR ON QUEEN ELIZABETH


Advertisement
Ireland's flag
Europe » Ireland » County Cork » Cobh
August 5th 2012
Published: August 5th 2012
Edit Blog Post

Thursday 2nd August - continued



Back on board we had afternoon tea and then time for Barry to have a little snooze whilst Nicky sorted out the laundry for tomorrow (hang the expense).

Dinner this evening was semi formal - suit and tie but as usual we had an excellent dinner. After dinner we decided not to go to the theatre as it was going to be quite a lot of jazz which neither of us particularly like so we went back to our room and watched a really awful black and white film Harvey. And so to bed as we made our way down to Liverpool overnight.



Friday 3rd August



We were already tied up at the cruise terminal when we got up in time to enjoy our tea and coffee before getting dressed ready for breakfast. Afterwards we took our time walking along the Pier Head just in time to go into the new Liverpool Museum. It brilliant - Nicky had been a few weeks before when she attended a reception there. We spent nearly 2½ hours there including the statutory coffee break. Three floors of really interesting items to see and hear all about Liverpool. There were some really fond memories of yesteryear for us both with the highlight being able to sit in one of the original overhead railway carriages that Barry had travelled on in the early 1950’s. As we left the museum Nicky noticed that she had received a text saying Jill was on the train on her way to Liverpool and a hasty text later we were on the bus up to Lime Street to meet up with Jill for a drink. It was a total surprise and great to see her. After we left Jill we had a slow walk back down Church Street and Lord Street the main shopping roads of Liverpool and eventually arrived back on board with a slight stop to listed to some Liverpool folk songs.

We arrived on board in time for afternoon tea so enjoyed that before going back to the cabin and guess what - Barry had to haVE A NAP. That’s why no blog was done. Dinner was another smart casual evening - jacket but no tie. Afterwards we were off to the theatre to get ready for a Beetles tribute concert. They were very goog and it is only listening to the sing and play that one could appreciate how much the Beetles actually achieved. Sail away was later this evening because of the tide. We stayed to watch our leaving Liverpool and sailing down the river past New Brighton and the Wirral bound for Dublin in the morning. A quick Ovaltine for Barry and then to bed.



Saturday 4th August



Up later today for our tea and coffee as we were not due into Dublin until 11.30am due to tide restrictions. Breakfast and then a sit down waiting to disembark, We then went up to the gym to look at a particular machine they have which would be ideal for Barry to use to exercise his arm, Something for Sunday. We disembarked and took the shuttle bus into Dublin. An interesting commentary by the driver on the way. Awander round the shops including M&S where Nicky was disgusted to find they don’t take our discount card! A few other shops some of which are very expensive and then back on board. It was sad seeing so many beggars on the streets and drunks sleeping in shop doorways and this during the day. Back on board we went off for afternoon tea and then back to the cabin for Barry’s statutory afternoon siesta before dinner. Smart casual again tonight. We didn’t fancy the show as we had seen the comedian before and had been told he doesn’t vary his act so we went to the Garden Room and relaxed and watched as we left Dublin behind and sailed on for Cobh in the morning. Couldn’t send until Sunday morning as no internet connections available last night.

Will be back later with further updates.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.264s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 12; qc: 47; dbt: 0.05s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb