Day 12 (Sunday) Cobh, Ireland


Advertisement
Ireland's flag
Europe » Ireland » County Cork » Blarney
May 15th 2011
Published: May 15th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Janet in Blarney IrelandJanet in Blarney IrelandJanet in Blarney Ireland

Blarney Woollen Mill
Hello from Cobh (pronounced ‘cove’) Ireland. We arrived this morning right on time, with a nice smooth docking. We had left a 6:30 wake-up call (that’s 12:30 the night before in St Louis) so we would have plenty of time to get dressed and have breakfast before reporting to the main theater for our half-day tour to leave at 8:15.

Our guide was named Theresa but apparently the driver did not have a name. We boarded the bus just a few feet from the gangway and drove through the little town of Cobh. The bus drove alongside the River Lee and through the center of Cork. Since this is Sunday morning, traffic was light in Cork and we moved along quickly. We traveled through the central city, with the guide pointing out many places and providing some history, but we did not stop anywhere. From Cork we traveled through the countryside with many gaily colored farm houses and small villages, crossing small stone bridges, and arriving in the village of Blarney. All along the way, the bus drove on the left side of the road and the trees/shrubbery were right next to the side of the road (conservation laws prevent them from trimming them back from April through September). The sky was overcast most of the day, but our guide said it was considered good weather because it was not actually raining.

The village of Blarney is home of the Blarney Castle and the famous Blarney Stone. We had two hours to stroll around the area, go to the castle, visit the town square to drop into the shops or pubs (most of them were not open on Sunday morning) or go to the nearby Blarney Woolen Store. Of course the highlight of the town is the castle and kissing the Blarney Stone. David had done this about 40 years ago and Janet did not think she could managed the arduous task after it was explained to us, so we did not make that side trip (takes about an hour). You would have to climb a steep narrow spiral staircase for 150 steps, using a rope hanging down the center of the stairway as your banister. Once on top of the castle you lie on your back, slowly slide out under the parapet, pull yourself up to the bottom of the stone parapet to kiss it, and then pull yourself back into the castle. Actually there is someone sitting there to help you, but it is quite a challenge. Once done, then you have the “gift of eloquence” the rest of your life. Afterwards you have to climb back down an equally narrow spiral staircase to get back to the bottom. It is not recommended for anyone with claustrophobia, weak knees/legs, or afraid of hanging upside down at great heights. Other than that, it is fairly easy.

Instead we went shopping and had plenty of time to shop in the Blarney Woolen Mill Shop (a huge store) which is housed in a converted mill building. There were many different kinds of souvenirs, such linen goods, wool sweaters & knitwear, many assorted knick-knacks, a large display of Waterford crystal, and many other things. After shopping, then we had an Irish Coffee in their restaurant. They poured a half cup of coffee (it already had the secret Irish additional ingredients) and topped the other half of the cup with whipping cream. Then you drink the coffee through the cream. It was actually quite tasty (that coming from someone who almost never drinks coffee).

The woolen mills in Ireland actually
Grand PrincessGrand PrincessGrand Princess

in Cobh Ireland
ceased production a couple of years ago because of cost/price issues versus other parts of the world. Likewise, the Murphy’s Brewery closed last year, but previously had been a major industry on the County Cork region and a local competitor to the Guinness Brewery. Our guide gave us quite a lengthy explanation of the financial condition of Ireland and explaining all the “benefits” which are provided to their citizens (social security, medical, dental, unemployment, children’s aid, etc). Since the global economic woes of a couple of years ago, Ireland has gone from the 3rd strongest economy in Europe to needing bailout money (having to borrow 36B euros) from the EU.

Then on that cheery note, it was back into the bus and the return trip to the ship. We got back about 12:30 and went up to the Lido Deck to have a nice buffet lunch (many people were still on tours so it was not very crowded). We did not have anything scheduled for the afternoon, so we had time to get on the internet and send yesterday’s blog while our shipmates weren’t clogging up the bandwidth. The temperature eventually got to 57 degrees today and late in the day the sun came out for awhile. So we walked back down the gangway and into Cobh. We took a few pictures and strolled through the sidewalk stands and heard some groups playing Irish music in the pubs. That was interesting too.

A couple of hours before the ship was scheduled to sail at 6:00, a local band came onto the pier and played some Irish songs as “sail away” music. It was a nice sendoff from Cobh. But we had to get down to dinner (can’t miss a meal) so we did not see the whole casting-off process.

One big difference between this cruise and our trip last year is that we do not have anyone else to really share the experiences with. Last year we had Jim and Kathy (and Rich) on a daily basis, and the others from our group periodically. This time there is no one to really reminisce with and share the adventures. At least Jim or Rich would have tried to talk David into a stout at one of the pubs during the afternoon. Not today though.

After another good dinner, we went to the Princess Theater to watch a
Band of the DockBand of the DockBand of the Dock

Cobh Ireland
very entertaining ventriloquist show. We were a little skeptical beforehand, but he was really pretty funny. And then it was back to the cabin for a good night’s sleep before we get to Dublin tomorrow.


Advertisement



Tot: 0.089s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 12; qc: 53; dbt: 0.0508s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb