Foolin in Doolin


Advertisement
Ireland's flag
Europe » Ireland » County Clare » Doolin
May 16th 2011
Published: May 17th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Ok, i'm updating late again. for those of you keeping track, that means i was out drinking last night hahaha. it was a very good night. i think i had three whiskeys and two pints? something like that. it was good times last night. very relaxed atmosphere, and some honest-to-goodness traditional Irish music.

Early afternoon on the 16th, I left Killarney with Paige and Brian, the two Americans I met there, and after a layover in Limerick ended up in Doolin : )

DOOLIN. IS. GORGEOUS. It's this tiny town in the middle of nowhere, surrounded by nature. Doolin is super-close to the Cliffs of Moher, so it's a tourist hot-spot, but it's also well-known for its traditional music scene. i took a 30-second clip of a small group of locals playing together in the second bar we went to. There weren't 15 people in the bar, musicians included, and they weren't playing for attention or anything. They were just playing songs and talking in between. It looked like they were just at the pub having a good night : ) The first bar was a bit more lively even though the crowd was older lol it was really cool.

For me personally, Doolin has some geek factor to it. One of my favorite video games for PS3, Folklore (a murder mystery game that leans heavily on Irish mythology and simply brilliant visuals to deliver a great experience), is set in the village of Doolin. It could well be a re-imagined version of this village. There's cliffs near the village in the game, as there are here (the Cliffs of Moher), and there's a stone "henge" near the village in the game, and the Poulnabrone Dolmen is near Doolin : ) so even though i didn't run into any beasties or faeries or the like, the night, and all my time here, has been a massive success. So far, Doolin is my favorite place that i've stayed in Ireland!

I'll update tonight, wherever I end up (i'm hoping Belfast, but it may be Dublin) about today's adventures 😊

Thanks to those of you that are still following! I'll upload pics relevant to the entries here as soon as I get back to Aberdeen (the 20th), but for now i don't have the connector cable to link my camera to my laptop 😞


Additional photos below
Photos: 3, Displayed: 3


Advertisement



Tot: 0.063s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.041s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb