Biking to Torc Mountain and Cruising to the Cliffs of Mohr


Advertisement
Ireland's flag
Europe » Ireland » County Clare » Cliffs of Moher
September 30th 2010
Published: January 9th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Friday (20/8/2010)
After a quieter night our friend had left due to the inclement weather we set off early for a morning run. We moved our car to the free day car park and picked up some supplies for a picnic lunch. Next, we hired a couple bikes and set off for Torc Mountain. We took in the beautiful scenery as we road along the lake past some old famous house . After a minor detour (riding 3km in the wrong direction..opps) we parked our bikes at the base of Torc waterfall (which was beautiful) and made our way on foot of the mountain. Along an alternating pebble and sleeper path we climbed, and climbed and climbed! At each turn hoping we’d reached the top only to discover it was a bluff and we still had a long way to go. After what felt like an eternity (perhaps a little ambitious with so much unaccustomed exercise in one day) we reached the windy peak. Thankfully the views were worth it. Carly took shelter behind a rock and we refueled before making the comparatively easy decent.
Back on the bikes we made it back to town by three. Then back in the car and on to Kilfornora Hostel. Having made good time we decided to make the most of the clear weather and continue on to the Cliffs of Mohr (which turned out to be a great decision). The Cliffs of Mohr are a staggering 203m towering over the ocean in one shear drop! We did out best to capture the views before we then turned for the tiny township of Kilfornora the Sat Nav taking us along some very tight narrow roads but amazingly there was no oncoming traffic. Kilfornora is a lovely clean hostel which a fantastic kitchen. Carly whipped up a quick chicken stirfry for tea. Both exhausted we boycotted our original plans to go to the pub for hot showers and bed.




Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement



Tot: 0.149s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 24; qc: 66; dbt: 0.095s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb