Close to the Arctic Circle. Just Close.


Advertisement
Iceland's flag
Europe » Iceland
July 8th 2016
Published: September 6th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: 66.08, -23.14

This morning we're off the ship and in the parking lot by 9:45am. We're on the northern coast of Iceland in the town of Isafjordur, just 34 miles south of the Arctic Circle. We find our tour group in the lot and board the 20 person, 4-wheel drive bus. A young girl from the local university is to be our guide for the day but we are still missing 4 more people so we wait. At 9:10, she finally gives up on the the other four and off we go.

Our guide begins by talking of the history and culture of this area of Iceland. Annika, originally from Canada is very interesting and speaks perfect English. Our first stop is a gas station where we are told to buy any food for the day here and use the potty if necessary. We grab a tuna sandwich and some chocolate candies before embarking on a long ride over narrow roads and through a long tunnel to reach our first stop, Dynjandi Falls. Everyone on board our bus makes a big deal about the long tunnel that has an intersection in the middle of it. Been there! Done that! We know all about long tunnels from Norway and remain unimpressed.

It's another rainy day and we have 1 1/2 hours here to explore all the falls at Dynjandi. There are many smaller ones besides the main Dynjandi Falls, famous for its massive size. Karen walks to the lower ones but when we get to the place where the climbing begins, she decides to take pictures of me climbing to the top. It was along way to the top, at least for me. Some steps, rock and gravel make up the path leading to the base of the largest part of the falls. About 3/4 of the way up I question whether or not I should continue. I'm winded and my legs are burning a little but I press on and in another 5 minutes I reach the top. Actually, my "top" is right at the base of the large falls. I wave down to Mom far below but I can't tell whether or not she sees me. I take a few shots and video from my vantage point, look around a little and catch my breath, then start the trek down to meet Karen. Together we return to the bus and, within 20 minutes, we're off to our next stop.

It's a small museum, church, sod houses and WC stop. Called the Jón Sigurðsson Memorial Museum in Arnarfjörður, it's more of a rest and potty stop than anything. We stop long enough for a few pictures here and again we go. Our guide continues educating our group in all sorts of local folklore from the trolls to the mischievous 13 Christmas Elves. She knows all of the names of the Christmas Elves and the personal trait identified by each of their names. She also tells us of the good and bad trolls, most being good. Annika points out avalanche walls dotting the mountainsides near populated areas. These wall-like barrier structures stretching 200-300 yards each were built to protect the area from avalanches, but during the summer they serve as a scenic hiking trails.

Back in Isafjordur we make a few more stops including Skrudur Garden, Iceland's oldest botanical garden. It was established in 1909, the result of a professor's successful efforts to prove that plants from outside of Iceland can be grown in this harsh environment and there are still people dedicated to keeping it going today. Tending a garden in Iceland is really a labor of love since it's not the most hospitable environment for growing things. Mom stays in the bus while I walk around, looking at the plants. Upon returning, she tells me there was a big fight between a black lady and a group of travelers on opposite sides of the aisle, something about "Black people never had a chance and the government and rich people should do more". Apparently, that did it and a ruckus ensued. I missed all the excitement while in the garden and our ride back to Isafjordur was somewhat subdued.

Fishing has been the main industry in Ísafjörður, and the town has one of the largest fisheries in Iceland. There's a tour to the fishery but that's for another day. The town was first settled by Helgi Magri Hrólfsson in the 9th century. In the 16th century, the town grew as it became a trading post for foreign merchants. It's all interesting and we thank Annika for all the info, returning to the ship.

We have a nice dinner but skip the second appearance of Georgina Jackson. She's good but we decide to wander the ship and get to sleep earlier. We have a big day planned for tomorrow in Reykjavik. Mom has no idea. From here we head south since Isafjordur is about the closest to the Arctic Circle that we're going to get on this trip.


Additional photos below
Photos: 13, Displayed: 13


Advertisement



19th July 2016

Beautiful waterfall!

Tot: 0.054s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 10; qc: 26; dbt: 0.0344s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb