A good day for a swim


Advertisement
Iceland's flag
Europe » Iceland
June 4th 2013
Published: June 29th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: 64.1353, -21.8952

Today was just like yesterday. Cold. Wet. Windy. A great day for a swim! We ordered free room service for breakfast. A bus picked us up from the harbor and dropped us at the hot springs in Gullbringusysla. A place where you can swim in crystal blue thermal volcanic heated springs. Entry will cost you 40 Euros per person, but well worth it. As per local customs, you have to shower naked before entering the hot springs. I got through the sausage fest, put my towel on the rack and met Nat in the springs. It was a freezing 10 or 15 metre walk to the water, but nice and toasty upon entering. Overall the water was warm, but not hot. Occasionally when swimming about you would find a nice toasty hotspot. It was a surreal otherworldly feeling experience. Warm below, freezing winds, drizzle, steam belowing off the water, low visibility. A hot spa, in a wilderness blizzard. We swam about for near 2 hours before returning to get changed. To my horror, I found someone had nicked my towel. With most people using white towels from the cruise, I followed the new trend and swiped another persons towel.
After getting changed we had some time to walk around the area and see some ducks enjoying the warmth of the springs. We were back aboard by 1.30pm. In time for a late lunch. The 4.30pm football tournament was cancelled but 5 of us still had a friendly match. Dinner was back to the usual spot. Afterwards, we elected to go to the late show at 10.30, having no idea what it was. Good decision, Truman the comedian, dancer and singer had the place swinging with cool jazz, blues and rock.
We were up at midnight, the sun just setting, marvelling at the greys, orange and yellow in the sky on a backdrop of ice coated cliff faces. This is truly a spectacular place. Tomorrow, Akureyri.


Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement



Tot: 0.091s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 11; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0352s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb