A day in Reykjavik


Advertisement
Iceland's flag
Europe » Iceland
February 28th 2015
Published: June 22nd 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: 64.1355, -21.8954

Late breakfast and a city trip to Reykjavik. A bright, clear but cold day. Arrived in Reykjavik at midday, wandered through the flea market and headed for the 76m high Hallgrims Cathedral, a famous city landmark - a really unusual design of vertical columns. The city is full of colourful houses including different coloured roofs; it's a clean and quiet city (no car horns or revving engines). Coffee and apple pie break at a small cafe and then walked a couple of kilometres to the city park and botanic gardens, probably lovely in the summer but not at their best in the snow. We sat on a bench and watched children feeding the ducks and then walked down the main shopping street to the iced over pond next to City Hall in the centre where everyone was walking on the frozen water, so we took our lives in our hands and did the same before wandering over to the harbour. As this is our last night we hoped to see the Northern Lights; it's the only clear night of our trip so far...... Woooo Hoooo we saw the Northern Lights. We can now go home!


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement



Tot: 0.073s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 11; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0234s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb