30m/s winds and a snow storm- bugger


Advertisement
Iceland's flag
Europe » Iceland
December 9th 2014
Published: June 14th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: 65.6853, -18.0867

The weather forecast was not looking promising for our northern lights excursion however we checked with reception and there was no news it was canceled.

James snoozed whilst I blogged and then tea time came around pretty speedily. I had a hankering for pizza and luckily enough on our little free map, was a 15% off voucher for Greiffins..... A pizza/tex mex/ American diner esque place. The food was scrummy and the staff lovely and helpful! I had a 5 cheese pizza and James a double layered meat one! Happy days!!

We negotiated the snow plough piles on the way back to the hotel to wrap up for our northern lights adventure.

The bus was late picking us up, which lead us to believe it may have been canceled, however a quick phone call from reception confirmed they were on their way. The bus was full of Canadian and Americans ..... One very (too) chatty, which was nice to start with... Then it grated! As we drove out of the town onto the fjord, the wind was blowing a gale, whipping up the snow as it went. I was glad I wasn't driving!! The sky was full of cloud, but Gisel our guide said the northern lights can be strong enough to clear the clouds!!! Not tonight. We stopped where the cloud was thinner for abt 40 mins to see.... But nothing. A hot choc and a Icelandic doughnut later, we were back In the bus. The 2 other buses that were further east had already given up as were we.

We get another try for free tomorrow, so everyone keep everything crossed!!!


Additional photos below
Photos: 3, Displayed: 3


Advertisement



Tot: 0.162s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 5; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0503s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb