Day 3


Advertisement
Iceland's flag
Europe » Iceland
April 5th 2016
Published: April 13th 2016
Edit Blog Post

<li style="margin: 0px; font-size: 12px; line-height: normal; font-family: Helvetica; color:񮾑">Stykkishölmur (buy cooker)



Drove all the way (ok only 30-40 min drive) to this town to get the portable stove from olis gas station. They didn't have it in stock because it wasnt summer. Of course. But icelandic people are so friendly and helpful! She offered to call the car company for us and sort everything out. All we had to do was go to akureyri and call a number to pick up our gas cooker. Yay. So off we went.



<li style="margin: 0px; font-size: 12px; line-height: normal; font-family: Helvetica; color:񮾑">Hvítserkur (basalt rock) and lunch



We had to drive on a gravel road for a bit. It was a bumpy ride. The day was perfect. It was cloudless and sunny. There was a platform to view the rock on, but i decided to also scramble down to the beach to take a closer look. There were so many flies (?) on the beach due to the rotting seaweed. Eww. There was also a mini waterfall on the cliff, which was nice. I later found out that it was possible to take a long stroll down a different path to get to the rock rather than my sliding down and scrambling up the wobbly rocks. Oh wells. We did go down that gentle slope onto the beach but we took a stroll along the beach to admire the black sand! And guess what? We even saw wild seals sun basking on the beach opposite to us! I got so excited. I took some black sand back to give to my sisters and friends. Now all i need are small bottles to put the sand in. Hmmm.



<li style="margin: 0px; font-size: 12px; line-height: normal; font-family: Helvetica; color:񮾑">Akureyri (stay) (Kaffi Ilmur-traditional pear cake)


Thought we were going to explore the second biggest city a little but turns out there isnt much. Although this city is quite cool. It faces the sea on one side, and is backed by snowy mountains. I could see lights along the mountains, indicating active ski areas. We saw the church (churches are different here, somehow) and went to a cafe to drink hot chocolate and eat cake. We stayed there to charge my phone and use the free wifi. We went to the camp site slightly outskirt of the city (we tried the city one and it was just barren). They had showers in this camp site. We were so excited. We met this californian couple and a family from hk. The couple were quite friendly, and we chatted about our plans for iceland and stuff. Cooked using the site's kitchen.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.096s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 5; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0459s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb