Djúpivogur, Iceland


Advertisement
Iceland's flag
Europe » Iceland
August 23rd 2019
Published: August 23rd 2019
Edit Blog Post

August 22, 2019 – Djúpivogur, Iceland – Weather: 61°F/16°C, cloudy with scattered showers, wind 10 mph, humidity 86°



After crossing the North Atlantic we once again came to the island nation of Iceland. Today’s port of call is Djúpivogur, a small fishing village on the eastern coast. The area was first inhabited by Irish monks followed by seasonal fishermen who eventually stayed and established the port. The village remains today as a processing center for deep sea fishing, aqua culture farms and tourism.

As there is no pier in this port we once again had to use the ship’s tenders to go ashore. Tours today were all centered around going out to explore the natural wonders of the area. We opted for a guided walk around the town up to an observation point and then out to the local bird watching area.

The walk included a steep climb to the top of a small hill to the Bondavarda cache, which was used by overlooks watching for ships approaching from the sea. A number of the guests found the hike up the hill difficult the navigate and B wisely decided to opt out. From that top we had a wonderful view of the village, harbour and the surrounding mountains, especially Bulandstindur Mountain, which dominated the area even through the mist and fog.

We descended from the outlook into an area of the coast that in the past was dotted with little islands. Today those islands are now absorbed into the main island as glacial silt is deposited around them filling in the adjoining lagoons. A number of saltwater lagoons and fresh water lakes are found here and they attract a variety of seabirds throughout the season. However today there were only a few ducks and a pair of geese.

Back at the harbour the we found that the ship had sent a supply of hot chocolate ashore for us as we waited for our tender ride back to the ship.

Tonight’s entertainment was an encore performance by the StepOne Dance Company doing an interpreted dance entitled “Stages”.


Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement



Tot: 0.152s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 14; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0791s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb