And then there was Iceland....!


Advertisement
Iceland's flag
Europe » Iceland
September 24th 2018
Published: September 24th 2018
Edit Blog Post

It all started with an email from WOW airlines $99 one way from Boston. And since it was on our way home.... we changed our tickets, getting off in Istanbul and enjoying an evening in one of our favorite cities. Then a short flight to Oslo for a night and by Sunday morning we were in Reykjavik... We rented a VW Caddy Camper van, and convinced Patti and Doug to join us.



Ed and I spent the first two days traveling in the Snaefellsnes Peninsula, along the Western part of Iceland. We had great weather and very few people. We met Patti and Doug in Akureyri in the North, the 2nd largest city in Iceland with @ 18,500 people. At this time the rain started, so we continued on to Myvatn Lake, enjoyed a delicious dinner as the rain continued most of that night.



The next morning it was climb up to Dimmuborgir's Herfjall volcanic crater, about 1 km in diameter. By now the wind is blowing, and we are getting sand blasted. Deciding to go to Myvatn's Nature bath for a great soak. As we arrive at the check in desk, we are told, a major weather storm is approaching, and if we want to go East, we should leave right now. Otherwise, it might be two days before we will be able to leave.



So we beat feet, heading for Egilsstadri, about 200 kms away. By now, it is blowing rain and cold. We are told 'it is Iceland'. On the way, we pick up 2 hitchhikers from Czech Republic, feeling sorry for them as they are being pummeled by rain and wind from the passing cars, trucks and buses. They told us - 'everyone told us it is easy to hitchhike in Iceland', but they are not finding that to be true.



The pass is cold, blowing winds, but we make it with no snow. We stay there for the night, the next morning, the front has moved thru and we work our way south for the next three days with beautiful sunshine. It is windy, but gorgeous. We do take a zodiac tour of the Jokulsarlon glaciers.



Our last night Doug's internal clock, woke us @ 3am to enjoy the Northern Lights. It was a nice farewell! Although very cold at @ 35 degrees!



The country is stunningly beautiful with some of the most diverse landscape we have seen. The North is so barren with only the occasional farm house. The South is much busier, and we are amazed at how many tourists are traveling in the off season. The maps included show our route of the Ring road which circles around the island. It gives a fantastic introduction to a beautiful county!


Additional photos below
Photos: 34, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



24th September 2018

Great photos
It is wonderful to see some of the sites you are experiencing. Keep posting. Wish you well.
24th September 2018

Iceland YOU Will Go!
Once again the masters of travel continue. I just went to a bluegrass festival a whopping 50 miles away. I did have fun though and heard some great music. Iceland is on my list. It looks like you generally lucked out with the weather and again took some great photos. WOW airlines I might have to check out. Keep on Truckin!!! Grant
21st October 2022
Snaefellsnes Peninsula

Follow that road
Gorgeous every footstep of the way. I have posted this in TB's "Follow that road" thread in the Photography Forum. Great addition. Check 'em out.

Tot: 0.087s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 9; qc: 25; dbt: 0.0664s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb