Voyage of th Vikings - 4


Advertisement
Iceland's flag
Europe » Iceland
August 1st 2018
Published: August 1st 2018
Edit Blog Post

IcelandIcelandIceland

Geothermal generator
Iceland



The weather has not been cooperating. It was overcast with the threat of rain when we set out to explore the Golden Circle. We opted for a small group tour since there were multiple stops and getting in an out of a bus of fifty wastes time.



Our first stop was a geo-thermal plant that provides hot water for heat and household use to Reykjavik as well as electricity. Located on the slope of a volcano it uses the heat of the magma to heat ground water and the steam is used to generate power. It is amazing technology and emits very little co2 but they are working on eliminating it all together. As long as it rains and the magma is hot there will be power and hot water.



Our next stop was a picturesque volcanic crater, Kerid. Here, a light sprinkle started. Then we visited a lovely waterfall with a salmon ladder that flowed from a clear sparkling stream. Next was the oldest known geyser in the world. It is the Geysir and thus the name for all geysers. After a quick lunch we headed to the mighty Gullfoss
IcelandIcelandIceland

Fax falls
(Golden waterfall). By now the rain was quite heavy and again I stayed in the coach as I had visited before in quite the same weather. This is an imposing waterfall that is fed by glacial melt.



Now it was pouring. Our next stop was the Pingvellir National Park known for two important happenings. Here the Icelandic people held the first know parliament, gathering leaders from around the country to council together and agree on policies.



The second important happening is the Icelandic rift valley where the Eurasian tectonic plate is slowly separating from the North American plate at about the spreed that your fingernail grows. The gorge would be great to experience where you could touch two ectopic plates at once, but if was raining buckets and only the most intrepid tourists made the trek.



Our final stop was a working dairy farm where we could buy fresh made ice cream and look through the window at the cows in the barn including cute little calves.



The next day the weather seemed to improve but turned south later in the day. We decided to enjoy a sea
IcelandIcelandIceland

Salmon ladder
day in port and I indulged myself with an awesome message.



When we sailed away from Reykjavik we left three ships in port; the Prinsendam, the Sea Princess and another very large cruise ship I couldn’t identify. No wonder every site was so crowded.



We have two sea days on our way to Norway and the forecast is rain and temperatures in the 50’s. Sunset tonight is around 11:00 and sunrise at 5:00.


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement

IcelandIceland
Iceland

Geysir
IcelandIceland
Iceland

Children checking out the babies


Tot: 0.344s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 12; qc: 43; dbt: 0.1637s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb