Iceland Ring Road Trip


Advertisement
Iceland's flag
Europe » Iceland » Southwest » Reykjavík
September 15th 2016
Published: September 15th 2016
Edit Blog Post

My wife and I were in Iceland for 2 weeks last summer when we were travelling through some of the Scandinavian countries (including Norway, Iceland and Faroe Islands).

The first step of our journey was Iceland, and we arrived in Reykjavik on August the 2nd. The airport (“Keflavik”) is located about 50 km away from Reykjavík and there are several ways to get to and from the airport. We decided to rent a car for our full journey (Reykjavik Auto ).

We arrive quite late, so we went directly to our hotel in Reykjavik. We visited the city the day after, and discovered some fantastic monuments as Hallgrímskirkja which is a Lutheran parish church or the sculpture “Sun Voyager” by Jón Gunnar Árnason. We also visited the Kolaportid flea market, which is indoors (great idea, by the way!). You can find strange Icelandic delicacies such as dried fish and fermented shark. Reykjavik is a fascinating city, and the capital and the heart of Iceland’s economic and cultural activity.

Initially planned to visit Reykjavik and then do some excursions, which is what the majority of tourists in Iceland do, but once we read several blogs on internet we decided to do a road trip.

So after spending a few days in Reykjavik, we made an amazing road trip around Iceland. The main road in Iceland is named “Ring Road”, and if you travel by car you have plenty of freedom to cover all the major attractions that Iceland has to offer.

Driving Iceland’s Ring Road will expose you to hot springs, sparkling rainbows, beautiful horses, volcano Eyjafjallajokull, tumultuous waterfalls…

Our favorites places were:


• Hveragerði. A cute little town filled with geothermal activity.
• Seljalandsfoss: A nice waterfall. It is only 100 meters off the ring road. You can even see it from your car from the Ring Road.
• Skógafoss: A massive waterfall pretty close to Seljalandsfoss.
• Kirkjubæjarklaustur. While it is a small town, is definitely a good place for an over night stop as you travel across the country. With about 150 inhabitants, named after a convent that stood there in Catholic times. The town has a romantic hiking paths.
• Mývatn. Our top place. It is in the north of Iceland, and it is an incredible lake with bird life and stunning surroundings, filled with caves and hot springs.


Once we were back to Reykjavik, we booked 2 tickets to enjoy the famous Blue Lagoon . It is the place that tourists have heard of and visit. It is an indescribable experience. The water is like medicine for your entire body. We had a really great time. We spent a few hours there enjoying the lovely waters. It is 40 minutes driving from Reykjavik, but it's worth it. It is one of the best geothermal spa in Iceland.

Our holiday in Iceland was an amazing experience, it is a must to visit if you love nature and adventure!

Advertisement



Tot: 0.136s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 6; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0824s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb