A whistle stop tour of the capital to whale watching in rough seas!


Advertisement
Iceland's flag
Europe » Iceland » Southwest » Reykjavík
August 23rd 2008
Published: August 30th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Our second to last day saw us returning to the capital. Yes it still looked as grey as ever. We drove under the Hvalfjordur tunnel to get there. Due to the Iceland marathon being on we only had a very short tour of the town which meant basically a quick look at the cathedral and a very quick tour of the 'Perlan.'
After a quiet afternoon sorting out we went out the the harbour for our great 'whale watching adventure.'


Now I don't like boats. I'm OK in my own canoe but put me in anything larger than that and my balance does wierd things. We were told by going out at 5 pm we had a good chance of seeing whales. The commentary was good and we went up on deck to have a good look. Even the sun had come out so I was being very positive! That's when the 'glad game' stopped. The girl said we would sail out for about 40 minutes and it may be a little rough but not to worry as the boat used to be a rescue boat!! The waves were fun for awhile until they started really coming over the front! The problem was that it became too unstable for us and the other maniacs who ventured up to get back down. So here we stayed with the boat not just swaying but going up and down and side to side with water and spray hitting us and sea water swilling all over the deck. We just had to sit there holding on tight!! Quite a few started to feel ill but there was no chance of getting downstairs. At least the amount of water on deck washed the evidence away! One or two fell by the way but I sat there firmly holding tight to the bench to see my whales.....and whales we saw. The girl said in two years it was the best trip ever but what a cost to our sea legs or stomachs!!!!
Minke whales were breaching in all direction. Not really close but enough to see the balack and white as they turned and danced in the rough seas! We saw at least a dozen or so and at least one week on now I have just begun to stop feeling I am swaying!!!
You will have to look hard at the photos but there were whales there!!!!! better photos to come another day so check later.


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement

Whale!!!!Whale!!!!
Whale!!!!

Yes just look for the white splash!


Tot: 0.094s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 15; qc: 92; dbt: 0.067s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb